The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Athletic Play, BUT is it Legal? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50499-athletic-play-but-legal.html)

SmokeEater Mon Dec 22, 2008 01:29pm

Athletic Play, BUT is it Legal?

A1 steals the ball at the free throw line and passes it ahead to A2 on a break. A2 goes up and performs a finger roll, at the last minute flips the ball above the rim and then grabs it and slams it in. It looked fantastic and to me no different than some of the lob passes for a dunk I have seen.

Question is can a player legally take a shot and then while its above the rim grab it again and dunk it?

Rock Chalk Mon Dec 22, 2008 01:31pm

Why wouldn't that be offensive goal tending? The ball is above the cylinder, no one is allowed under NFHS rules to touch the ball.

jdw3018 Mon Dec 22, 2008 01:31pm

If he released the ball in the air, and then grabbed and slammed all without returning to the floor first, legal - as long as the ball wasn't in the cylinder when he grabbed it to dunk.

If he was on the floor and threw the ball up, then his pivot foot returned to the floor, and then he jumped and grabbed it, an official would need to judge whether the "finger roll flip" was a try or a pass. A try - no violation. A pass - violation.

Ch1town Mon Dec 22, 2008 01:32pm

Judgement call... was it pretty enough to warrant an airball finger roll, rebound & dunk?

SmokeEater Mon Dec 22, 2008 01:37pm

It was real pretty.... He did it all in one motion. Took off from the floor started teh finger roll, flipped the ball at last minute then grabbed it and put it home. I totally passed on any call just cus it was so athletic and well, I wasn't sure anyway. From my angle the ball may not have been in the cylinder yet but darn close.

Adam Mon Dec 22, 2008 01:40pm

Agreed, if it's in the cylinder, BI. If it's not, blow the whistle and let him take a bow.

Ch1town Mon Dec 22, 2008 01:40pm

If we aren't sure, then it didn't happen plus it was pretty :D

Ch1town Mon Dec 22, 2008 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater (Post 560666)
It was real pretty.... He did it all in one motion. Took off from the floor started teh finger roll, flipped the ball at last minute then grabbed it and put it home. I totally passed on any call just cus it was so athletic and well, I wasn't sure anyway. From my angle the ball may not have been in the cylinder yet but darn close.

SmokeEater Mon Dec 22, 2008 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 560671)

You said that already, now your just repeating yourself.:D

Ch1town Mon Dec 22, 2008 02:05pm

Just call me Jimmy "Two Times"... two times.

Adam Mon Dec 22, 2008 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 560694)
Just call me Jimmy "Two Times"... two times.

Nah, you're just padding your post count so you can become an "esteemed member."

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 22, 2008 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 560702)
Nah, you're just padding your post count so you can become an "esteemed member."

Nice catch.

Wait a minute, are you sure you weren't just padding YOUR stats? :D

Adam Mon Dec 22, 2008 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 560715)
Nice catch.

Wait a minute, are you sure you weren't just padding YOUR stats? :D

I'm pleading the 5th.

M&M Guy Mon Dec 22, 2008 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 560721)
I'm pleading the 5th.

I've been pleading for a 5th all day. (Damn Mondays.)

(So, what number am I at now?)

Kelvin green Wed Dec 24, 2008 01:42pm

Pleading the 5th or drinking one?