The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   For those of you in Ohio (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50495-those-you-ohio.html)

cdoug Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:45am

For those of you in Ohio

I was at a girls Varsity game (in Ohio) the other night and noticed that there were only 2 officials. I know that the boys have 3 in V games and was curious as to if the third official didn't show up or if this was a typical occurrance in girls games.

Ignats75 Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:01pm

Virtually every conference around the Cleveland area is three person for both Boys and Girls Varsity. There is even talk that some Boys JV will be shifting to three person.

youngref33 Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:39pm

official must not of showed. One of the JV officials should of stayed and worked the game.
In Ohio I think all varsity games, should be 3 man crews.
Some of the schools on central ohio are going 3 man for JV.

Ignats75 Wed Dec 24, 2008 01:39am

If a varsity official is a no show and there is no sub from the assignor, its at the discretion of the two head coaches whether a JV official is used or not. If neither JV official has their Class 1 license and/or the coaches feel they would be better off without either of them, the game will be a two man game.

Rich Wed Dec 24, 2008 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75 (Post 561314)
If a varsity official is a no show and there is no sub from the assignor, its at the discretion of the two head coaches whether a JV official is used or not. If neither JV official has their Class 1 license and/or the coaches feel they would be better off without either of them, the game will be a two man game.

Isn't that precious, let the coaches decide!

rgncjn Wed Dec 24, 2008 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdoug (Post 560595)
I was at a girls Varsity game (in Ohio) the other night and noticed that there were only 2 officials. I know that the boys have 3 in V games and was curious as to if the third official didn't show up or if this was a typical occurrance in girls games.

Depending on the location / conference, some GV assignments are still 2-official in Ohio.

OHBBREF Wed Dec 24, 2008 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75 (Post 561314)

I am pretty sure it is only discressionary if JV officials are not Class I - the coaches do not have the authority to not use a class I official if avaialble at that time.
The only other time a choice can be made is if there is an official in the stands or near by (dad) they must be mutually acceptable to the coaches.

that is from a few years ago it may have changed I try not to think of such things.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 24, 2008 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 561343)
Isn't that precious, let the coaches decide!

Rich,
In WI do the coaches have a say in which officials are selected for post-season?

OhioReferee Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:52am

There is one league in Southwest Ohio that uses 2-man for girls that I know of. It's a small school conference north of Dayton. It has 13 schools and some of them are an hour apart.

stmaryrams Wed Dec 24, 2008 01:09pm

There are also some in Southeastern OH that use 2 for GV due to availablity of officials.
Several of the leagues around Columbus have gone to 3 person crews for a Frosh/JV doubleheader depending on the school.
There are also some mentoring crews which follow the Varsity crew's schedule for the league. A great way to train new officials and have a stable of available officials ready.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 24, 2008 07:19pm

There are a number of conferences and leagues in Ohio that do not use three officials for girls' varsity games, and the most common reason is $$$$$$$.

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Wed Dec 24, 2008 07:33pm

Don't They Have Title IX Compliance Officiers In Ohio ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 561513)
There are a number of conferences and leagues in Ohio that do not use three officials for girls' varsity games, and the most common reason is $$$$$$$.

Seven dollars doesn't seem like a very good reason?

Rich Wed Dec 24, 2008 07:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 561364)
Rich,
In WI do the coaches have a say in which officials are selected for post-season?

The coaches rate the officials during the season, but I see no correlation between assignments and ratings. The assignments all come from the state office and I do not know if the coaches have any say in who they get.