The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Asu/byu (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50468-asu-byu.html)

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 20, 2008 07:04pm

Asu/byu

Went down to the final shot and the officials had to go to the replay to see if the BYU shot beat the buzzer. It didn't and ASU wins by one. Great finish. The television replay cut it down into individual frames with the clock on the screen and it was still really hard to tell, but I think they got it right.

dahoopref Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:22pm

Here it is on Youtube:

YouTube - BYU ASU last seconds

It doesn't show the 0.0 seconds on the clock but it does show the light go off and the ball was still in BYU player's hand.

shishstripes Sun Dec 21, 2008 01:12am

Good call, still in the hand when the light goes on.

youngump Mon Dec 22, 2008 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 560243)

Don't agree with you but then I'm a huge BYU fan. So it's probably pointless for us to argue this point. I'm curious about two points though.

1. How many of you would completely pass on the fact that the shooter is being heavily forearmed away from the basket.

2. If you would call the foul on the shooter, and you think the shot was barely no good and you go that replay would you at all be influenced in ruling on the shot by what you saw on the rest of the play.

(BTW, this was only the last of straw of a games worth of officiating nightmares that saw me for the first team hear a D-I official friend of mine admit that officials do influence games and that this bunch had. He's for a long time been adamant that complaining yields nothing.)
________
Latina Cam

Raymond Mon Dec 22, 2008 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 560562)
Don't agree with you but then I'm a huge BYU fan. So it's probably pointless for us to argue this point. I'm curious about two points though.

1. How many of you would completely pass on the fact that the shooter is being heavily forearmed away from the basket.

That is not what the review is for. You cannot go back and call fouls except for flagrants or fighting.

Quote:

2. If you would call the foul on the shooter, and you think the shot was barely no good and you go that replay would you at all be influenced in ruling on the shot by what you saw on the rest of the play.

No. That would be dishonest and show a lack of integrity.

Quote:

(BTW, this was only the last of straw of a games worth of officiating nightmares that saw me for the first team hear a D-I official friend of mine admit that officials do influence games and that this bunch had. He's for a long time been adamant that complaining yields nothing.)

You're D1 friend was watching the game with you and said this crew was influencing the game in ASU's favor?

youngump Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 560572)
That is not what the review is for. You cannot go back and call fouls except for flagrants or fighting.

No. That would be dishonest and show a lack of integrity.

You're D1 friend was watching the game with you and said this crew was influencing the game in ASU's favor?

I know that's not the point of the review. The question was in real time would you call that.

No my D1 friend and I discussed the game after it was over.
________
Infants Nexium

jdw3018 Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 560243)

Going frame by frame, I don't think there's any doubt his hand was still in contact with the ball when the light came on.