The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wierd ending (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50465-wierd-ending.html)

Ch1town Sat Dec 20, 2008 06:18pm

Wierd ending

20.5 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter. Tied score, 6-6 foul count. A3 gets seriously injured while going "over the back" of B2 for an offensive rebound, resulting in a 5th foul.

After what seemed like 30 mintues before the paramedics gained access to the gym, both coaches asked to "call the game" is it stood.

How do you handle that?

Raymond Sat Dec 20, 2008 06:24pm

You sign the scorebook and head home.

Adam Sat Dec 20, 2008 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 560149)
20.5 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter. Tied score, 6-6 foul count. A3 gets seriously injured while going "over the back" of B2 for an offensive rebound, resulting in a 5th foul.

After what seemed like 30 mintues before the paramedics gained access to the gym, both coaches asked to "call the game" is it stood.

How do you handle that?

Wow. SubVarsity, go ahead.
Varsity? I don't know. Either way, call CHSAA my friend.

shishstripes Sat Dec 20, 2008 06:30pm

5-4-3 Whenever a game is interrupted because of events beyond the control of the responsible administrative authorities, it shall be continued from the point of interruption unless the teams agree to terminate the game with the existing score, or there are conference, league, or state association rules to cover the situation.

With that said, get game administration involved, if the game is to be interrupted or otherwise, I would make notes of time, situation, in your case note who is who is taking the ball out and where or who might be shooting FTs, etc. in the scorebook, so that if the game is restarted it can continue from the POI.

Stat-Man Sat Dec 20, 2008 06:47pm

Quote:

How do you handle that?

What level is this? I've seen 2nd grade intramural games with higher scores than this :D

shishstripes Sat Dec 20, 2008 06:51pm

Quote:

Tied score, 6-6 foul count.

The OP says it was a tied score, with 6-6 on fouls, not that it was a tied score of 6-6.

Ch1town Sat Dec 20, 2008 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 560151)
You sign the scorebook and head home.

In a tie?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 560153)
Wow. SubVarsity, go ahead.
Varsity? I don't know. Either way, call CHSAA my friend.

Varsity, I know huh...

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 560154)
5-4-3 Whenever a game is interrupted because of events beyond the control of the responsible administrative authorities, it shall be continued from the point of interruption unless the teams agree to terminate the game with the existing score, or there are conference, league, or state association rules to cover the situation.

With that said, get game administration involved, if the game is to be interrupted or otherwise, I would make notes of time, situation, in your case note who is who is taking the ball out and where or who might be shooting FTs, etc. in the scorebook, so that if the game is restarted it can continue from the POI.

I used 2-3 to suspended the game as opposed to terminating it because 5-7-3 gives me the impression that games don't end in ties.
One of the umpires on my crew copied all the particulars down & I submitted an email to my supervisor. I think if I ended the game right then & there, it was no going back to fix anything. Now CHSAA can make that final decision to terminate or resume at the POI, B2 shooting a 1 & 1.

It was a wierd experience but I feel that we handled it properly.

Adam Sat Dec 20, 2008 07:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 560186)
I used 2-3 to suspended the game as opposed to terminating it because 5-7-3 gives me the impression that games don't end in ties.

One of the umpires on my crew copied all the particulars down & I submitted an email to my supervisor. I think if I ended the game right then & there, it was no going back to fix anything. Now CHSAA can make that final decision to terminate or resume at the POI, B2 shooting a 1 & 1.

It was a wierd experience but I feel that we handled it properly.

Right or wrong, you did what I would have done. I'm curious to find out what CHSAA says on this.

Ch1town Sat Dec 20, 2008 07:48pm

I'll be in touch when I hear something.