The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   When is it a violation???? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50447-when-violation.html)

derwil Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:01am

When is it a violation????

I'd like to discuss a couple situations....

A1 driving with the ball when she fumbles it. Bat bat bat players hit the floor. A2 comes up with it:

a) while laying on her stomach
b) laying on her back
c) sitting on her rear
d) in a three point stance

What is her allowable movement in these situations (can she flip over, roll around etc.) before a traveling violation is warranted?

This comes from a game I watched tonight...had a situation "b" where the player went from prone, belly up with the ball to sitting. No violation was called. Got me wondering.

Thanks a million.

shishstripes Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:32am

If player was on their back, ok to sit up. Never ok to roll over or stand up, unless the player starts a dribble first. Cannot travel while dribbling.

Back In The Saddle Sat Dec 20, 2008 01:52am

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)

Nevadaref Sat Dec 20, 2008 06:17am

BITS provided the NFHS case play for you.

I'll add that we had a VERY long discussion some time ago about what exactly constituted "rolling over." I took the position that it means going from front to back or from back to front, not merely turning or rocking from side to side.

bob jenkins Sat Dec 20, 2008 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 559960)
had a situation "b" where the player went from prone, belly up with the ball to sitting.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

If she went from prone (face down) to supine (face up) to sitting up, that's travelling (before she sat up).

derwil Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:17am

Nope...face up to sitting. Bad choice of words.

summdawg76 Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:23am

You always have to call something quick. Your going to have one of a few things fast.

1. A violation for traveling
2. A defensive hold foul
3. Jump ball
4.Timeout from offensive coach.

If players get tied up and nothing is called, all hell breaks loose. Especially with girls playing.

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 560023)
I took the position that it means going from front to back or from back to front, not merely turning or rocking from side to side.

Unless he moves his pivot cheek. :D

BillyMac Sat Dec 20, 2008 04:18pm

Football Stance ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 559960)
In a three point stance.

This reminded me of an IAABO Refresher Exam question a few years ago about the legality of a "football stance". It was the worst IAABO Refresher Exam question of all time. Almost as bad as the question about the scorebook, and the player who missed the bus, and is on his way. Give me a few days and I'll see if I can dig it up.