The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Nfhs 3-2-1 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50441-nfhs-3-2-1-a.html)

eyezen Fri Dec 19, 2008 05:10pm

Nfhs 3-2-1

I read on this forum and hear from other officials so many issues regarding rosters and starters etc. A simple solution is for coaches take it upon themselves to have a simple printed roster and circle the starters as you walk out to the floor and hand it to the scorekeeper as you walk to the bench, satisfying the rule. A last minute change for a kid moving up or down levels wouldn't take 30 secs to correct and print out before you get on the bus. Yet I've never seen one do it. Just thinking out loud for all the coaches out there listening.

mutantducky Fri Dec 19, 2008 05:20pm

so many times you get scorekeepers writing in names at the last minute

Nevadaref Fri Dec 19, 2008 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 559840)
I read on this forum and hear from other officials so many issues regarding rosters and starters etc. A simple solution is for coaches take it upon themselves to have a simple printed roster and circle the starters as you walk out to the floor and hand it to the scorekeeper as you walk to the bench, satisfying the rule. A last minute change for a kid moving up or down levels wouldn't take 30 secs to correct and print out before you get on the bus. Yet I've never seen one do it. Just thinking out loud for all the coaches out there listening.

I see that quite frequently, especially at tournaments.

Back In The Saddle Sat Dec 20, 2008 02:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 559842)
so many times you get scorekeepers writing in names at the last minute

This may, or may not be a problem. There is no requirement for the scorekeeper to have the names written in the book at the 10 minute mark. The requirement is for the team to "supply the scorer with the name and number of each team member who may participate and designate the five starting players at least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time."

It's not uncommon for the HC to instruct the scorekeeper to just copy the lineup from the previous game. As far as I can tell, that meets the requirements for submitting the lineup.

(BTW, I kicked this one in a game last season. The home scorekeeper buzzed us during the first quarter and indicated that one of their players wasn't in the book. I assessed the T, she added the player, and we went on. Later in the day it hit me that this shouldn't have been at T for the simple fact that she had simply omitted a name when copying the lineup from the previous game.)

Adam Sat Dec 20, 2008 02:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 559996)
It's not uncommon for the HC to instruct the scorekeeper to just copy the lineup from the previous game. As far as I can tell, that meets the requirements for submitting the lineup.

Agreed. This was also how a coach got a T for this team the other night. He'd copied score sheets from a previous game in which one of his subs didn't play.

BillyMac Sat Dec 20, 2008 01:07pm

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 559996)
The home scorekeeper buzzed us during the first quarter and indicated that one of their players wasn't in the book. I assessed the T, she added the player, and we went on. Later in the day it hit me that this shouldn't have been at T for the simple fact that she had simply omitted a name when copying the lineup from the previous game.

Something about this bothers me. I will accept a scorekeepers copying mistake to avoid the technical foul for "submitting", especially if the coach shows me a correct, complete, roster sheet that he submitted, or if the first book with both lineups has all the names, and one name was omitted when copied into the second book. In these cases we have written proof that it was an error by the scorekeeper, and that the coach did indeed "submit" his roster on time. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about Back In The Saddle's post is whispering "technical foul" to me. It's just a whisper. I'm not sure where it's coming from, or if I should pay any attention to it.

Adam Sat Dec 20, 2008 01:55pm

I'm with Billy, it's not the scorer's job to remember last night's roster. It's the coach's job to submit the roster to the scorer. I take this to mean he must do it in writing.

Kelvin green Sat Dec 20, 2008 02:25pm

The smart teams have figured out with a little ingenuity that they can create a list of players and numbers that can be printed and just pasted into the scorebook....

Juulie Downs Sat Dec 20, 2008 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 560100)
I'm with Billy, it's not the scorer's job to remember last night's roster. It's the coach's job to submit the roster to the scorer. I take this to mean he must do it in writing.

I'm with Snaq and Billy. Although I think for the coach to say, "just copy the list from the last game" IS submitting it in writing. And it wasn't complete, and that's the coach's fault, and deserves the T.

But Billy, about those whispering voices.... have you seen a therapist? After three or four sessions a week for about a year, they really go way, way down...

j2u4now Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:07am

Give them the T

The coach is responsible for the book. If he left it up to a 16 year old kid, that's his fault.
Prior to checking the book as the R, I will introduce myself to the coach, let him know the coaches/captain meeting time and ask him the question " are your names and numbers in the book correct?" I can tell you of 3 technicals in 4 years that the coach said " you asked me about the book, and I didn't check it" I feel I did more than my part.