The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Advise (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50412-advise.html)

Ch1town Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:42am

Advise

How do you all approach those games where your partner(s) of the same experience level (up & coming) doesn't seem to like you for unknown reasons?

Perhaps they view you as their competition, or in their mind you got the plum schedule & they didn't...

Say you're the R?
Say he/she is the R?

Please advise on the best way to handle this situation in a positive, professional manner.

fullor30 Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 559363)
How do you all approach those games where your partner(s) of the same experience level (up & coming) doesn't seem to like you for unknown reasons?

Perhaps they view you as their competition, or in their mind you got the plum schedule & they didn't...

Say you're the R?
Say he/she is the R?

Please advise on the best way to handle this situation in a positive, professional manner.

Handle it in positive, professional matter,

Certain things you can't control, this applies to anything.

Scrapper1 Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 559370)
Handle it in positive, professional matter

I agree with this. I would not even bring it up. I have actually been in this situation. I would try to be the "bigger man" by actively involving the other official in the pre-game in a very active way. Ask for his take on the teams, the coaches, style of play, etc. Work that into your pre-game if you're the R. If you're not the R, then just be a good partner. What else can you do?

icallfouls Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:27pm

Kill them.....

.....with kindness.

Karma can be a b****

cmckenna Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 559379)
Karma can be a b****

Just ask O.J. :D

bob jenkins Thu Dec 18, 2008 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 559363)

Say you're the R?
Say he/she is the R?

Get in.

Get done.

Get out.

JRutledge Thu Dec 18, 2008 01:46pm

I do not worry about it. Like said before, be professional and kill them with kindness. If someone does not like you not only is that not something you cannot control, but that is there problem.

Peace

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 18, 2008 01:53pm

Ot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmckenna (Post 559382)
Just ask O.J. :D

Letterman said the only reason O.J. got convicted this time was because his attorney couldn't think of anything that rhymed with "memorabilia". :D

refnrev Thu Dec 18, 2008 04:55pm

Just remember that you're there to do a job and do it well, not become best buddies.

Oz Referee Thu Dec 18, 2008 07:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 559379)
Karma can be a b****

I believe in Karma - it means that when I am an A**Hole to someone, they must have done something to deserve it :D

BillyMac Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:36pm

Or Mrs. Howell ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 559414)
Letterman said the only reason O.J. got convicted this time was because his attorney couldn't think of anything that rhymed with "memorabilia".

I figured you were a Letterman guy, not a Leno guy.

Now the important question. Ginger, or Maryann?