The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Good idea Gary, but the players in this city are long gone by the time I get the fingers together
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden on 02-16-2000 11:13 AM
I remember watching one from NFHS a couple of years ago that was pretty good. Showed the jump stop, pivot foot, and many of the other issues involved in traveling. I don't remember the name of the video.

The one I have is from nfhs and is just called "Rules Update." I purchased it through their website at www.nfhs.org.

I found it to be helpful.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2000, 03:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to danno
Exclamation

Just an observation, in the pros to me it looks like they should be called for walking
a lot more than they are. I saw a commercial featuring a lay up by Kobe Bryant and it sure looked like a walk to me. In the pros do they look the other way on these great looking dunks?
Old Tue Feb 22, 2000, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Joe T -

Spoken like a true Bulls fan. Getting a little tired of hearing about Ewing's walk and not enough about his ability and heart. Please give it a rest.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2000, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by danno on 02-19-2000 02:43 AM
Just an observation, in the pros to me it looks like they should be called for walking
a lot more than they are. I saw a commercial featuring a lay up by Kobe Bryant and it sure looked like a walk to me. In the pros do they look the other way on these great looking dunks?

It seems to me that each year the NBA looks a little less like basketball in a lot of regards. The shoving in the lane is out of hand; it's illegal to play team (zone) defense; you can't take a charge too close to the basket....

But the travelling often looks the silliest of all. Another example is Ewing whose standard post move involves switching the position of both feet while holding the ball. I don't think I've ever seen him called for it, but I'd be willing to bet that any one of us would call it in a HS game.

The NBA has made it quite clear that its goal is to sell shoes (or any other branded item). Rules are made specifically to encourage high scoring individual performances.

It's been suggested that the media success of Michael Jordan has had a lot to do with the desire to "create marketable stars." (See a new-ish book called "Sole Influence.") It's ironic (and unfortunate) that one of the game's greatest players has to be implicated in the watering down of the sport, but it looks like a reasonable argument to me.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2000, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jackgil on 02-22-2000 12:34 PM
Spoken like a true Bulls fan. Getting a little tired of hearing about Ewing's walk and not enough about his ability and heart. Please give it a rest.

I was really just commenting on the trend in officiating and citing an example.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2000, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Cool

Hoover,

You my consider getting a copy of the rule book illustrated or simplified the sketches are very helpfull and when reading the rule and pictures is a way of setting into ones mind the proccess of what constitutes a Travel.

Good Luck

------------------
Don