The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Injury (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50396-injury.html)

PP Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:14am

Injury

Team A takes a jump shot towards Team B's basket. Team B recovers the rebound and starts up the floor. At mid court the trail ref whistles the play because one of team A' s player is down in the backcourt with an ankle sprain. Should the trail ref whistle the play down? When should the play be stopped when there is an injury serious or not? In this case the injury was not serious.

IREFU2 Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:18am

If Team B is advancing the ball up the court and the Team A player is not a danger to anyone, trail should stay back and keep an eye on the player until Team A gets the ball back. Had this happen also in a game a month ago. Just my 2 cents.

Adam Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:21am

If B is making an active attempt to score, hold the whistle. If they start running an offense; blow it dead.

sseltser Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PP (Post 558986)
Team A takes a jump shot towards Team B's basket. Team B recovers the rebound and starts up the floor. At mid court the trail ref whistles the play because one of team A' s player is down in the backcourt with an ankle sprain. Should the trail ref whistle the play down? When should the play be stopped when there is an injury serious or not? In this case the injury was not serious.

I think you might have this part backwards. Team B's basket is, by definition, the one where Team B is able to score points. So I think that Team A took a jump shot at their own basket.

Ch1town Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PP (Post 558986)
Team A takes a jump shot towards Team B's basket. Team B recovers the rebound and starts up the floor. At mid court the trail ref whistles...

...a back court violation.

ma_ref Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:43pm

If there is blood or a player is in obvious pain, then I blow the play dead immediately, regardless of what's about to unfold. If the player is simply just slow to get up, like maybe just getting the wind knocked out of them, then I hold for the next dead ball or slow down in play.

BillyMac Wed Dec 17, 2008 07:50pm

Exactly When Do You Blow The Whistle ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 558992)
If B is making an active attempt to score, hold the whistle.

Agree. Exactly when would you blow the whistle, i.e., when does the attempt to score end? On the shot (no team control), on the make (dead ball), or on the miss, and if so, before (no team control), or after (team control), the rebound?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sseltser (Post 558997)
I think you might have this part backwards. Team B's basket is, by definition, the one where Team B is able to score points. So I think that Team A took a jump shot at their own basket.

RP is from Ontario, Canada. I think that the colleges now play using FIBA rules. If this was a game played under FIBA rules and I do not have any information to contradict my education assumption that the game was played under FIBA rules then by definition Team A does indeed attempt to score at Team B's basket and Team B attempts to score in Team A's basket.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. It does not have anything to do the metric system of measurement either.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 559206)
If this was a game played under FIBA rules..... then by definition Team A does indeed attempt to score at Team B's basket and Team B attempts to score in Team A's basket.

How FEEBLE is that! :D

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 559215)
How FEEBLE is that! :D

Dang it Mark. You have got to stay on your meds. :D

MTD, Sr.