The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Sportsmanship speech (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50395-sportsmanship-speech.html)

mj Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:08am

Sportsmanship speech

In my state before introductions most schools read a paragraph about sportsmanship towards this, that and the other thing including the officials. Last night, good hotly contested BV game. After the home students don't like a call the chant "7 on 5" happens during a timeout. The real kicker, the AD is standing right next to them and not a word is said. :confused:

Whew I feel better...

Rich Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 558985)
In my state before introductions most schools read a paragraph about sportsmanship towards this, that and the other thing including the officials. Last night, good hotly contested BV game. After the home students don't like a call the chant "7 on 5" happens during a timeout. The real kicker, the AD is standing right next to them and not a word is said. :confused:

Whew I feel better...

Last night the announcer said that the officials were licensed by the WIAA, neutral, and selected based on their proficiency at officiating at this level of play, blah, blah. I leaned over to my partner and said, "They don't know me very well."

chartrusepengui Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:32am

Wow! Last night HC runs after me off court instead of shaking hands with opponent players/coaches because I am the worst official he's ever seen. Shouldn't even be allowed on a BB court. Why?

Because when partner called double foul I adminstered the throw-in at POI and HE KNOWS I screwed him out of a possession because, and I quote, "every idot knows you go to AP arrow after a double foul".

And this guy was the winning coach:(

Adam Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 559004)
Because when partner called double foul I adminstered the throw-in at POI and HE KNOWS I screwed him out of a possession because, and I quote, "every idot knows you go to AP arrow after a double foul".

Me: "Maybe every idiot knows that coach, but everyone else knows the rule changed two years ago."

chartrusepengui Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:44am

It wasn't worth a conversation so I just made like Pablo and Cruise(d)

Rich Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:51am

Quote:

Wow! Last night HC runs after me off court instead of shaking hands with opponent players/coaches because I am the worst official he's ever seen. Shouldn't even be allowed on a BB court. Why?

And this guy was the winning coach:(

Just tell him he'll get 2 of the next three AP situations.

If you're in Southern Wisconsin, I'd be thrilled to know who this was.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:51am

Quote:

Wow! Last night HC runs after me off court instead of shaking hands with opponent players/coaches because I am the worst official he's ever seen. (

When a coach tells you that, reply "that's impossible, the odds against having the worst official and the worst coach working the same game are too great."

Raymond Wed Dec 17, 2008 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 559014)
When a coach tells you that, reply "that's impossible, the odds against having the worst official and the worst coach working the same game are too great."

Or just tell him "my profiency in officiating is usually comensurate to the level of coaching." :D

That'll leave him baffled for a few minutes as you walk away.

derwil Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:13pm

My reply

I'll motion towards my partner and say "no coach, HE's the worst official in the world. I came in second place again".

fullor30 Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:19pm

Quote:

Whew I feel better...

'7 on 5' sounds like the Lords prayer compared to stuff I hear.

Rich Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:20pm

"Aww, coach, and to think you're my second favorite coach in the world."

"Second favorite?"

"Everyone else is tied for first."

Rufus Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:30pm

This announcement kind of cracks me up too. I did two JV games and hung around for the V games afterward. Not 2 minutes after the speech, the local edition of the Cameron crazies were chanting "Take his whistle" and "I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref!" The AD and principal were cracking up at their obviously witty and inventive student body.

On the plus side my kids really got a kick out of the "I'm blind" one.

Rich Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:37pm

"Nuts and bolts, nuts and bolts, we got screwed."

"Elevator, elevator, we got the shaft."

I have some partners that are bothered by these things and I have to fight not to laugh, myself. When I was in high school, I was one of the kids chanting, so I remember, even though it's not exactly recent history.

Ignats75 Wed Dec 17, 2008 04:04pm

My personal favorite:

"Its Hard to Blow the Whistle when you $uk."

DonInKansas Wed Dec 17, 2008 04:14pm

Quote:

Last night, good hotly contested BV game. After the home students don't like a call the chant "7 on 5" happens during a timeout.

You only do two-whistle Varsity? Or was there one official they considered neutral?

Or maybe the students don't count so good.....:p