The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coming Out of a Timeout - How to Handle? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50393-coming-out-timeout-how-handle.html)

Spence Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:49am

Coming Out of a Timeout - How to Handle?

Two rookies doing freshman game.

When should the teams be coming out of the huddle during a TO or to start a quarter? I had a coach last night tell us that we should be starting the qtr on the horn even if the other team is not on the court. Of course, he didnt say that when his team was still in the huddle at the last horn.

For future reference, how should I handle this? When should the team be ready to play? How much leeway do you give?

Adam Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:53am

Teams should be ready to play at the 2nd horn. Around here, that means they're out of the huddle and either in place or almost there. They typically start breaking at the first horn.

Coach was right, and frankly, you can't blame him for taking longer timeouts when it was obvious you were letting the other team have that much time.

Pregame this with coaches. My coach pregame is short, but timeouts are 2 of my 4 points.
1. Let us know what you want (30 or 60)
2. Have them ready to play by the 2nd horn.
3. Please stay in your box.
4. Sportsmanship.

Raymond Wed Dec 17, 2008 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 558977)
Teams should be ready to play at the 2nd horn. Around here, that means they're out of the huddle and either in place or almost there. They typically start breaking at the first horn.

Coach was right, and frankly, you can't blame him for taking longer timeouts when it was obvious you were letting the other team have that much time.

Pregame this with coaches. My coach pregame is short, but timeouts are 2 of my 4 points.
4. Sportsmanship.

Spence is not talking about times-out. He's talking about the beginning of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters when often there isn't a 15 second warning horn.

Adam Wed Dec 17, 2008 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 559083)
Spence is not talking about times-out. He's talking about the beginning of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters when often there isn't a 15 second warning horn.

Even without the 15 second horn, I'm in the huddle at 15 seconds.

BTW, there should still be a 15 second horn at the quarters. Sometimes you have to ask for it at halftime, but still.

zm1283 Wed Dec 17, 2008 02:45pm

Ask the person doing the scoreboard to give you a horn at 15 seconds between quarters.

Raymond Wed Dec 17, 2008 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 559088)
Even without the 15 second horn, I'm in the huddle at 15 seconds.

BTW, there should still be a 15 second horn at the quarters. Sometimes you have to ask for it at halftime, but still.

See, you just answered Spence's question. :)

Spence Wed Dec 17, 2008 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 559083)

I am actually asking about both situations.

Spence Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 558977)

4. Sportsmanship.

Where can I find wording that says they must be ready to play at the 2nd horn?

The rulebook and casebook both seem to deal with the offense not being ready. I assume if it were the defense that was not ready we would hand the ball to the offense and let them throw it in ?

Ch1town Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:05pm

It's a beautiful thing to see the defense HUSTLE to the court when the offense has the ball in hand & boy do they break the huddle in a timely manner for the rest of the game :D

Adam Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 559100)

The rulebook and casebook both seem to deal with the offense not being ready. I assume if it were the defense that was not ready we would hand the ball to the offense and let them throw it in ?

The timeouts and intermissions have a set time. 30 seconds, 60 seconds, or 10 minutes. When that time is up, play begins.

You're right, you can just hand it to the offense and they'll play. Ch1town is also right, the defense hustles out.

Raymond Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 559100)

After a made basket followed by a 5 second throw-in violation they will learn there lesson. :cool: