The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Explanations to Coaches part II

Not to hijack the discussion about talking to coaches- the below post from Just Another Ref got my attention:

<
Me: Blue, 14, push, one and one.

Coach: (sarcastically) So you're gonna shoot on the offensive foul?

Me: Coach, there is no team control during a throw-in.

His mouth opened..........and not another word came out. My idea at the time was that the phrase team control was foreign to him. >>>

Had the exact same thing happen last night at boys V/JV scrimmage. Team A is inbounding and has ball at disposal. A1 fouls B1. We are in the bonus for Team B. I think for a second before reporting, and indicate 1 and 1. Team A Coach starts to go nuts, along with his asst and JV coach, something about an offensive foul... I turn and say "coach there is no team control on a throw in- we're shooting 1-1" then I wait for a second... three gaping pie holes with utter confusion on their faces. Not another word the rest of the game.

Crisis averted!

Z
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Last night - partner calls double foul and reports. I administer throw-in at POI. Coming up court coach very upset yelling he should get ball with AP throw-in. I smile and tell him double fouls go to POI. He said "what's that?" I reply - it goes to the point of interruption. He said, "what's that?" I gave up.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 09:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Last night one of the freshman refs asked me, after his game, about the OP situation. Apparently, they had an "offensive" foul during a throwin and shot free throws. HC threw a fit, making him question his decision (they shot anyway). He felt better when I confirmed it for him.

Oddly, we had the same exact situation in the JV game, and no one questioned it.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

I had a Boys JV (10th grade) coach last night tell me I didn't know what I was talking about when I explained that his team still had team control, and therefore, by touching the ball last before it went into the back court, caused a backcourt violation. Apparently the need for rules knowledge is optional at that school.

When he then started on me about a non-call and I gave him an explanation he didn't like, I got another heated, "You don't know what your talking about". It was a bit of a hair trigger, but I wacked him. Kind of nipped it in the bud so to speak. At least he sat down and coached his players instead of the officials. Don't question my ability when you've already proven that YOU don't know what you are talking about. It was a tough night. My partner had never done anything other than CYO and wreck ball, so I had to spend time getting him into the right space on the floor and coach him during every timeout.