The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ever go a long time without calling a foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50387-ever-go-long-time-without-calling-foul.html)

icallfouls Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 559068)
It was actually a fun game to work. My partners had the same rotation philosophy I have (which is don't be afraid to over-rotate, you can always go back), so it was an actively officiated game. I didn't even think about not calling any fouls the second half until hours after the game.

Maybe the over-rotation philosophy worked against you and it was late rotations that kept the crew from being in the right position to make calls, therefore, you got rotated out of plays :D

Rich Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 559114)
Maybe the over-rotation philosophy worked against you and it was late rotations that kept the crew from being in the right position to make calls, therefore, you got rotated out of plays :D

Nope. I can't remember the "wrong" official having to make a call (center on a post player, for example) all night long.

By over-rotation I don't mean rotating for the sake of rotating -- I mean not worrying if it's a bad rotation and hesitating when it's likely the right thing to do (talking yourself out of it, which I see a lot of officials do). I mean, it's easy to take the few steps back to the other side of the lane from the close down position, so what's the deal.

Yeah, yeah, I saw the smiley face. ;)

icallfouls Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 559117)
Nope. I can't remember the "wrong" official having to make a call (center on a post player, for example) all night long.

By over-rotation I don't mean rotating for the sake of rotating -- I mean not worrying if it's a bad rotation and hesitating when it's likely the right thing to do (talking yourself out of it, which I see a lot of officials do). I mean, it's easy to take the few steps back to the other side of the lane from the close down position, so what's the deal.

Yeah, yeah, I saw the smiley face. ;)

Maybe your partners think you tend to overcall a game and they purposely rotated you out :D or you are really slow getting up the floor :D

Rich Wed Dec 17, 2008 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 559130)
Maybe your partners think you tend to overcall a game and they purposely rotated you out :D or you are really slow getting up the floor :D

It's funny -- after working a lot of 2-person, working 3 I have to "slow myself down" so I'm not overtaking the point guard coming up the floor when I'm the trail.

Maybe you're right, though. Of course, maybe I called 10 of the fouls and just don't remember 7 of them. I'm not as young as I used to be.

BillyMac Wed Dec 17, 2008 08:20pm

Are You Sure It Wasn't A Doubleheader ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 558950)
60 foul game!

Ouch.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:25pm

I have run the gamut. I had a women's D-I game a number of years ago (it was some time shortly after the center jump after every field goal) between the University of Miami (the one in Coral Gables, Florida) and Florida International University where we had 56 fouls. I had a boys' H.S. varsity game in Ohio one year where we had sixty (60) fouls including 24 (yes, you read the correctly) in the fourth quarter; suprisingly, we had no TF's and one intentional PF. I remember one boys' H.S. freshmen game where I called the first nine (9) fouls of the game and eleven (11) of the first twelve (12).

On the other hand I had a women's D-III game where the first fouled was called with just over six minutes in the first half (I had a charge, PC, against the home team; we finished with the foul total of four (4) against the Home team and one (1) against the Visitor's and the HC-H was complaining that we were homering him on his own court, :D. And finally, in the third place game of the 1993 AAU Women's National Championship (three-person crew), I called one foul and blew my whistle exactly three (3) times (one foul and two out of bounds call) in the first half. Of course my first whistle in the second half was for a foul four (4) seconds into the half which meant I switched form the T to the C opposite the table (back then we did not have rotation mechanics and the person who called the foul went to the C opposite the Scorer's Table. And exactly four seconds after my foul call the T called another foul so he could go back to the C position, :D.

Of course, whenever Daryl ("The Preacher" Long) and I officiate together the first on to call a foul has to buy dinner. I can't remember the last time Daryl bought dinner, :D.

MTD, Sr.