The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fifth quarter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50384-fifth-quarter.html)

Rita C Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:48pm

Fifth quarter

Local middle schools do not have JVs this year so the varsity teams are huge.

The coaches of tonight's game asked us to ref a "fifth" quarter after the game was over to allow the players to play who had not. This is not in the rules (as it once was).

Should we do so? In baseball, if we reach the end of the game by mercy rule, we are supposed to go home because of liability issues.

Rita

refnrev Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:51pm

I probably would.

Nevadaref Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:56pm

I would simply tell them that I had plans that night and had to go.

If they wanted playing time for those kids, then they should have put them in during the four quarters of play.

JRutledge Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:58pm

Was it in your contact? If it was not, then I do not see how you are obligated to work extra time.

Peace

derwil Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:02pm

Uh no.

Don't you have plans with your wife/husband/dog??

JugglingReferee Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:19pm

If your board has never discussed the situation, then I would do it if I had nothing else scheduled and my P was willing and available as well.

Otherwise, I wouldn't stay.

But then again, I find it hard to say no when kids playing sports in concerned.

aschramm Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:21pm

This is from my first-year experience with baseball, so take it for what it's worth...

I've done fall games which are almost like scrimmages. We usually just go by a time limit or 7 innings, whichever come first. If we're done with 7 innings and some time left, and the coaches ask if we can go another inning, I'll discuss it with my partner, but I'm usually fine with staying. This is my first year, so in a way I want to give a good impression that I'll help more than what is needed.

On the other hand, if you're playing any sanctioned game where there's a winner/loser, and you have contracts for those games, I'd recommend not staying around. Liability is a big issue (injuries for you or the players). And if you were having any troubles with parents, you'll probably get even bigger ones when you're technically working a quarter for free.

But again, just my $.02

jdmara Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:26am

Some of the freshman contests around here play a fifth "quarter". It's written in our contracts and we get paid extra. If it's not written in my contract, then I'm not doing it for liability reasons.

-Josh

Camron Rust Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:38am

There are often 5 quarter games at the Freshman Level in this area. Usually, the school has prearranged the 5th quarter with the assignor and a note to that effect is included with the assignment. 5 quarter games are paid at a higher rate. In the event it is not and the school wishes to hold a 5th quarter, we are to work it and report it to the assignor in order to receive the proper pay.

I'd suggest asking your assignor about such 5th quarter games.

mbyron Wed Dec 17, 2008 09:27am

We have no 5 quarter games in this area, AFAIK. I would not do it for liability reasons.

chartrusepengui Wed Dec 17, 2008 09:28am

Only 5th quarters we do must be written in the contract and the pay must be equal to or greater than 1/4th of a regular game fee.

sseltser Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:00pm

Its similar around here. Some schools have separate 8th and 7th grade teams. Some smaller ones do not. Usually, when the combined 7/8 teams play they have big rosters and like a 5th quarter. When that happens, the coach let's us know and we charge for 5/4 the normal pay.
Sometimes this involves some funny math though. Last year's fee was $43.50. 1/4 of 43.50 is $10.875 I think. And no, I didn't charge for the half cent.

Raymond Wed Dec 17, 2008 02:28pm

I wouldn't do it, both for personal and liability reasons.

Sticking around for the kids doesn't get it for me as I am divorced and have 2 children of my own whom I often have to leave at home by themselves so I can go ref. I also have a girlfriend who likes to spend time with me. The convenience of my loved ones comes before the convenience of others.

zm1283 Wed Dec 17, 2008 02:46pm

One of the conferences around here has its middle schools play a fifth quarter in 7th grade and 8th grade. They pay us for 2.5 games. They'll play 7th A, 7th B quarter, 8th A, then 8th B quarter.

tjones1 Wed Dec 17, 2008 06:28pm

I never had this happen in basketball. I've stayed around for a few extra innings in baseball. However, they've usually given me plenty of notice and asked if I would stay (and paid me, etc.). If they didn't, then they've always understood if I couldn't stick around due to other plans.