The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Timeout (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50382-timeout.html)

lmeadski Tue Dec 16, 2008 09:45pm

Timeout

V boys match. Team A possesses ball. Team A assistant coach calls a timeout. Our head ref granted the timeout then assessed a technical to the head coach. Correct call?

tjones1 Tue Dec 16, 2008 09:49pm

Probably not. Anyone can request timeout, but only the head coach (and players) may be granted the timeout if it meets the criteria listed in 5-8-3.

Why was a technical foul charged to the head coach?

Indianaref Tue Dec 16, 2008 09:51pm

You mean "request" a time-out. Were they out of TO's. If not, the ref, IMO, is OOO.

lmeadski Tue Dec 16, 2008 09:51pm

Because that's what he said the rule was

Me and partner told him we had to grant it since he allowed it but it was not a technical. He persisted and said it was a tech.

tjones1 Tue Dec 16, 2008 09:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmeadski (Post 558844)
Me and partner told him we had to grant it since he allowed it but it was not a technical. He persisted and said it was a tech.

I agree. Once granted, it may not be revoked. 5.8.3 Situation E (a)

However, unless I'm missing something or unless it was an excessive timeout (as Indianaref said) I believe you were correct - not a technical foul.

Nevadaref Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmeadski (Post 558841)
V boys match. Team A possesses ball. Team A assistant coach calls a timeout. Our head ref granted the timeout then assessed a technical to the head coach. Correct call?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmeadski (Post 558844)

:(

zm1283 Wed Dec 17, 2008 01:21am

What exactly does it mean by "granted"? If I put my hand up to stop the clock but don't signal toward the bench who requested the timeout, is that not actually granting it? If I do that, do I not have to grant the timeout and we can just go to the POI?

No, this hasn't happened to me, but it almost did. Team A had the ball in their frontcourt and I'm the L. B's coach looks at me and yells for a timeout. I start to put my hand up but yank it back down realizing who was requesting it.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 17, 2008 01:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 558889)
What exactly does it mean by "granted"? If I put my hand up to stop the clock but don't signal toward the bench who requested the timeout, is that not actually granting it? If I do that, do I not have to grant the timeout and we can just go to the POI?

If an official blows the whistle and stops play because someone made a time-out request, that's granting the request.

The official didn't sound the whistle by accident. He blew it for a specific purpose.

derwil Wed Dec 17, 2008 01:30pm

No tech, unless he busted the assistant for being up off the bench or talking to the ref (which would be a little silly after granting the TO).

Adam Wed Dec 17, 2008 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 559067)
No tech, unless he busted the assistant for being up off the bench or talking to the ref (which would be a little silly after granting the TO).

That's what I was thinking as well.