The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Looked like a scene from CSI (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50369-looked-like-scene-csi.html)

Adam Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:21am

Looked like a scene from CSI

BJV game, early third quarter. We'd just joked aroundat half time with one of the varsity refs about keeping the game flowing so they could start on time. V24 gets fouled and is heading to the line to shoot, I'm the L. I look up and his elbow is bleeding pretty good. I send him to the bench and start racking my brain to remember how long coach has to get him cleaned up.

I glance down, and it's on the floor, too. By the time the floor was clean, the player was ready.

JugglingReferee Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 558637)
BJV game, early third quarter. We'd just joked aroundat half time with one of the varsity refs about keeping the game flowing so they could start on time. V24 gets fouled and is heading to the line to shoot, I'm the L. I look up and his elbow is bleeding pretty good. I send him to the bench and start racking my brain to remember how long coach has to get him cleaned up.

I glance down, and it's on the floor, too. By the time the floor was clean, the player was ready.

Funny... I had a blood situation yesterday too and the same thoughts went through my mind.

I also gave out two Ts in one game. One for slamming the ball to the floor, it goe sup 15' and out to the corner of the gym. Second for a dead-ball chest bump to an opponent.

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 558640)
Second for a dead-ball chest bump to an opponent.

I'm smiling when I read this. Either the fool thought it was a teammate or he was venting frustration on the wrong poor soul. I can just picture this now...:D

lpneck Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:10am

He doesn't get any set amount of time.

If he is bleeding, he has to be directed to leave the game. Doesn't matter if the trainer is going to put a band-aid on it and he's ready in 2 seconds.

If the coach is going to buy him back into the game by taking a time-out, THEN he has until the end of the time-out to get the player patched up.

Nevadaref Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpneck (Post 558648)
He doesn't get any set amount of time.

If he is bleeding, he has to be directed to leave the game. Doesn't matter if the trainer is going to put a band-aid on it and he's ready in 2 seconds.

If the coach is going to XXX</STRIKE>buy him back intoXXX</STRIKE> [KEEP HIM IN] the game by taking a time-out, THEN he has until the end of the time-out to get the player patched up.

Almost 100% correct. You can't buy someone back in who never left!

BTW at the NCAAW level the team has 20 seconds to get the player cleaned up and ready without burning a time-out. That may be what Snaqwells was thinking about.