The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

CCA game Saturday, Intentional foul?

Good game saturday night, 2 good teams. 2nd half, home team A behind by 3, heated conference game. Haven't had the first problem with anything all night, just playing hard and getting after it all over the floor. Then....

Team A coming up the floor on a fast break, kicks it to the corner on my side, I'm the C opposite table, the three goes up, trail has whistle, the 3 goes in. Look to center court 6 guys together in each others face, partner in between. UH OOOHHH!!! I get out to help, Lead is standing back observing and helping with benches. We get together and talk about what in the world we got and what we are going to do!

Trail says on the break, B15 must of said something to A35, because he came at him and pushed him with both hands to the chest, didn't knock him down, but hard enough to push him back a couple feet. I told him the ball was in the air on the whistle and the 3 went in. We asked the Lead about the benches, Team A had 2 players get up and come ones step on the floor before the coach handled them and told them to sit the $^%$# Down!!! Since he handled it rather quickly we went with no ejections for that, the other bench had nothing either.
What we went with is a live ball INTENTIONAL FOUL on Team A, nothing else happened thank God, count the 3 pt basket! We gave Team A 3 pts., let Team B shoot 2 free throws, and take the ball out at division line, because that is where the intentional happened! Just making sure that was where we supposed to take the ball out of bounds? Anything else we forgot to do?
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 11:02am
Lighten up, Francis.

Sounds right to me. Good job in not nit-picking the benches. If you had a monitor, you could look to see if there was a flagrant foul that provoked A35. And since we all have monitors at our games. . . Riiiiiiiiight!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like with the calls that were made everything was handled correctly.

It kind sounds like one of those "had to be there" situations for us to debate the intentional foul, and while I more or less agree with turning a blind eye to the bench personnel, I'm left wondering if a flagrant should've been called on A35 instead. The contact you describe doesn't seem to fit any of the 5 examples of an intentional personal foul under NCAA rules. Granted the rule says that it is not limited to these examples, but I think the underlying nature of the rules involves contact which is going to either prevent a team/player from scoring, or stopping the game clock. If B15 then retaliated with a punch to the face of A35, do you then still have intentional foul on A and flagrant foul on B? What if A's push caused B to fall to the ground?

It's unfortunate that B's comment to A immediately before the contact was not able to be heard, so we can only go with what we actually witness, even though B's comment almost certainly pushed A over the edge.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Sounds right to me. Good job in not nit-picking the benches. If you had a monitor, you could look to see if there was a flagrant foul that provoked A35. And since we all have monitors at our games. . . Riiiiiiiiight!
Most CCA games have monitors, I think.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 01:50pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Most CCA games have monitors, I think.
Is the CCA a D1 conference? I guess I didn't realize that.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 02:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I think he just means a "college" game that adheres to the CCA manual. Whether it be NCAA, NAIA, USCAA, or JuCo.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think / thought it was the "Collegiate Commissioners Association"

From some web-site found using google: Commissioners or executive directors and assistants of the 32 major intercollegiate athletic conferences in the U.S.

Frankly, I didn't realize it was as many as 32 conferences.