The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Occupying Free throw Spaces (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50343-occupying-free-throw-spaces.html)

refnrev Mon Dec 15, 2008 02:38pm

I am continually amazed at the misunderstandings over the lane. I had a newbie tell me last week that all the spaces had to be filled before the shooter could shoot. I told him that was not right. When he told me which of his partners told him that I was surprised. However, in retrospect, it was the same guy that I corrected one night by telling hiom it was not possible for the thrower to travel on a throw-in.

BillyMac Mon Dec 15, 2008 08:05pm

He Still Has A Chance To Win ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 558384)
The opponents do not have the option here of not occupying the first two spaces. Two opponents must occupy these spaces.

Unless there's only one player left on that team.

tjones1 Tue Dec 16, 2008 01:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 558509)

True. :D

Nevadaref Tue Dec 16, 2008 01:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 558380)
Can someone further clarify one more point on this? If FT shooter's opponents for some reason choose not to fill the first spaces, can FT shooter's teammates take them?

8-1-4 uses "shall" (not) in c. and it's not clear if that means "may never," given the use of "may" in d.

Read 8-1-4c again. The final sentence makes this very clear.

"No teammate of the free thrower shall occupy either of these marked lane spaces."

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 558398)
I always convert "shall not" to "is not permitted to" when I read a rule.

You're not by any chance a member of a law-making or rule-making governmental body? ;)

Amesman Tue Dec 16, 2008 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 558577)
Read 8-1-4c again. The final sentence makes this very clear.

"No teammate of the free thrower shall occupy either of these marked lane spaces."

Sheesh. Better start wearing my glasses when I read or work. tx

rwest Tue Dec 16, 2008 03:14pm

Would this be a violation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 558509)

If they only have one player and therefore, can't occupy both spaces as required by rule, then do we have a delayed violation? Or do we ignore that since they don't have enough players to fulfill the requirements?

bob jenkins Tue Dec 16, 2008 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest (Post 558748)
If they only have one player and therefore, can't occupy both spaces as required by rule, then do we have a delayed violation? Or do we ignore that since they don't have enough players to fulfill the requirements?

The latter.

just another ref Tue Dec 16, 2008 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest (Post 558748)

No violation. If nothing else, slap a 2-3 on it. A team shall not be required to do the impossible.

Nevadaref Tue Dec 16, 2008 08:04pm

Or check the NFHS interps for this situation! ;)

2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 2: Team A started the game with seven team members in the scorebook. All team members foul out but one, A1. Team A is leading by eight points with 38 seconds left in the game with a chance to win. A1 fouls B2 with Team B in the bonus. A1 occupies one of the first marked lane spaces for the free throw, with no teammate to occupy the other required space. RULING: By rule, a team may continue to play with one player if that team has an opportunity to win the game. Accordingly, since Team A can only put one player in the required free-throw marked lane space, it cannot be penalized. Further, Team B may not occupy the first marked lane space left vacant by Team A. (3-1-1 Note, 8-1-3)

BillyMac Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:13pm

Amazin' ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 558815)
Or check the NFHS interps for this situation! 2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

How do your remember, or get your hands quickly on, an interpretation from five years ago? I have trouble figuring out where I left my keys, from a few hours ago!

Nevadaref Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22pm

I know the author of that interp. ;)