The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Quick Q...5 Players? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50332-quick-q-5-players.html)

Luv4Asian8 Sun Dec 14, 2008 02:47am

Quick Q...5 Players?

Hey All,

Been a while. Happy Holidays!

Quick question. State sancitoned girls varsity game. Team A has only 5 players. Team A coach chooses to pull A1 off the court for their own displinary action (not DQ or ejection). So, Team A coach wanted to play only 4 of her players.

Understanding that a team can play with only 1 if they have the ability to win, the question for this situation: Is there a requirement in the NFHS rules to play all 5 eligible players? If so, please help with citation/caseplay.

Thanks in advance,
VS

just another ref Sun Dec 14, 2008 02:52am

3.1.1 addresses this situation.

Team must have five players participating as long as it has that number available.

mick Sun Dec 14, 2008 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv4Asian8 (Post 557988)
Hey All,

Been a while. Happy Holidays!

Quick question. State sancitoned girls varsity game. Team A has only 5 players. Team A coach chooses to pull A1 off the court for their own displinary action (not DQ or ejection). So, Team A coach wanted to play only 4 of her players.

Understanding that a team can play with only 1 if they have the ability to win, the question for this situation: Is there a requirement in the NFHS rules to play all 5 eligible players? If so, please help with citation/caseplay.

Thanks in advance,
VS

In an JV Boys game, I have, in fact, allowed a team to play with 4 players and to allow the disciplined player to sit on the bench. I discussed the situation with the opposing coach and with partner, got approval by all and played on.
In my game, the player was being disciplined for escalating aggressiveness while on the floor.

JugglingReferee Sun Dec 14, 2008 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 557999)
In an JV Boys game, I have, in fact, allowed a team to play with 4 players and to allow the disciplined player to sit on the bench. I discussed the situation with the opposing coach and with partner, got approval by all and played on.
In my game, the player was being disciplined for escalating aggressiveness while on the floor.

I've done this as well; it was around 6-7 years ago, at a BV game.. Same situation: team only had 5 players; this one player was way OOC. There was about 17 seconds left in the half. My P and I got together and permitted the coach to play with 4 for the remaining of the half. IIRC, we did not consult the other coach, but rather I had my P (she was the R) tell him what we were going to do.

bob jenkins Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 557989)
3.1.1 addresses this situation.

Team must have five players participating as long as it has that number available.

Agreed. but "available" isn't defined.

derwil Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 557989)

And if coach says the one player isn't available?? Possible for coach to suspend the player for a quarter?

eyezen Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:38am

This isn't Hoosiers. :rolleyes:

Adam Sun Dec 14, 2008 02:12pm

I'm leaning towards the theory of "If the coach says he isn't available, he isn't available."

BillyMac Sun Dec 14, 2008 02:27pm

I Don't Even Play A Lawyer On Television ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 558038)
I'm leaning towards the theory of "If the coach says he isn't available, he isn't available."

Good theory. Nowadays, anybody can sue anybody for just about any reason, and even if you're in the right, you still have to hire a lawyer.

Coach: "He's unavailable".
Official: "You need five out here".
Several seconds later:
Player: "Ouch, I broke my ankle"
Several days later:
County Sheriff: "You've been served".

mbyron Sun Dec 14, 2008 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 558044)
Good theory. Nowadays, anybody can sue anybody for just about any reason, and even if you're in the right, you still have to hire a lawyer.

Coach: "He's unavailable".
Official: "You need five out here".
Several seconds later:
Player: "Ouch, I broke my ankle"
Several days later:
County Sheriff: "You've been served".

Although you can be sued for anything, a lawsuit against an official who enforced the rules within reason ain't going anywhere.

Adam Sun Dec 14, 2008 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 558045)
Although you can be sued for anything, a lawsuit against an official who enforced the rules within reason ain't going anywhere.

I agree. If the coach doesn't say the player is hurt, you're not responsible.

BillyMac Sun Dec 14, 2008 02:33pm

"The person who defends himself has a fool for a client." ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 558045)

Correct. But you still have to hire a lawyer. Hopefully the insurance that your local, or state, board carries, includes liability, and attorney fee coverage. In fact, once a parent finds out you have liability coverage, that may increase the chance that you'll get sued, possibly offering a bigger payday.

BillyMac Sun Dec 14, 2008 02:38pm

Thomas Paine Had Common Sense, Not Our Legal System ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 558047)

Common sense would tell me the same thing. But will the same conclusion be drawn by a parent out for a big payday, a parent's attorney who's out for a big fee, or a school's attorney trying to avoid liability.

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 14, 2008 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 558048)
Correct. But you still have to hire a lawyer. Hopefully the insurance that your local, or state, board carries, includes liability, and attorney fee coverage. In fact, once a parent finds out you have liability coverage, that may increase the chance that you'll get sued, possibly offering a bigger payday.

Just tell the parent that if their kid ever wants to get a call again, they'd better just drop it. :cool:

BillyMac Sun Dec 14, 2008 02:40pm

The Snaqwells Theory, Will It Win Him A Nobel Prize ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 558038)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 558047)

Then why your theory?

BillyMac Sun Dec 14, 2008 03:28pm

Five Versus Technical Foul ???

Similar situation:

For whatever reason, illness, injuries, disqualifications, ejections, very late, in a close game, a team is down to four players, however, there is one player, way down on the end of the bench, in uniform, who's, for whatever reason, name, and number were not in the book at the beginning of the game, unnoticed by the officials, and unknown to the coach, until he sends him to the table to sub in as the fifth player, when the scorekeeper announces to the coaches, and officials, "He's not in the book". The coach, whose team has the ball for the next throwin, considers the advantage of having a fifth player, versus, the disadvantage of adding a name, and number, to the book, earning a technical foul, losing the ball, the opponent getting two free throws, and the ball back. Can the coach refuse to sub him in for the reasons above? If not, can the coach just say, as in previous posts, "He's not available."?

eyezen Sun Dec 14, 2008 03:42pm

Calm down Chicken Little's! No one is going to get sued here, but if the helos are sueing anybody it would be the coach for not letting Johnny play when he is eligible to play, is not hurt, and by rule has to. Not to mention the lost scholarship at a D-1 University.

Adam Sun Dec 14, 2008 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 558052)
Then why your theory?

It has nothing to do with legality and lawsuits and everything to do with wanting to stay out of the drama.

refnrev Sun Dec 14, 2008 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 558017)
Agreed. but "available" isn't defined.

refnrev Sun Dec 14, 2008 08:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 558059)
Calm down Chicken Little's! No one is going to get sued here, but if the helos are sueing anybody it would be the coach for not letting Johnny play when he is eligible to play, is not hurt, and by rule has to. Not to mention the lost scholarship at a D-1 University.

_________
You left out the multi-million dollar signing bonus when he goes to the NBA.:D

Oz Referee Sun Dec 14, 2008 08:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv4Asian8 (Post 557988)
.....Understanding that a team can play with only 1 if they have the ability to win, the question for this situation.....

Does NFHS really allow a team to play with one player? In FIBA rules if you have 2 players and one fouls out, gets injured etc, then that team forfeits. With only one player it would be impossible to inbound the ball legally etc....

Oz Referee Sun Dec 14, 2008 08:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 558058)
Similar situation:

For whatever reason, illness, injuries, disqualifications, ejections, very late, in a close game, a team is down to four players, however, there is one player, way down on the end of the bench, in uniform, who's, for whatever reason, name, and number were not in the book at the beginning of the game, unnoticed by the officials, and unknown to the coach, until he sends him to the table to sub in as the fifth player, when the scorekeeper announces to the coaches, and officials, "He's not in the book". The coach, whose team has the ball for the next throwin, considers the advantage of having a fifth player, versus, the disadvantage of adding a name, and number, to the book, earning a technical foul, losing the ball, the opponent getting two free throws, and the ball back. Can the coach refuse to sub him in for the reasons above? If not, can the coach just say, as in previous posts, "He's not available."?

IMHO - If he's not in the book, then he's not a player, therefore the coach can choose not to sub him in (and thus prevent earning a technical foul).

jdw3018 Sun Dec 14, 2008 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oz Referee (Post 558135)
Does NFHS really allow a team to play with one player? In FIBA rules if you have 2 players and one fouls out, gets injured etc, then that team forfeits. With only one player it would be impossible to inbound the ball legally etc....

A team may play with one only in the case where the officials believe that team still has an opportunity to win. Obviously that team would have to have a considerable lead and/or have very little time left in the game.

jdw3018 Sun Dec 14, 2008 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oz Referee (Post 558136)
IMHO - If he's not in the book, then he's not a player, therefore the coach can choose not to sub him in (and thus prevent earning a technical foul).

Coach can add anyone to the book at any time for the cost of a technical foul.

just another ref Sun Dec 14, 2008 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 558058)
there is one player, way down on the end of the bench, in uniform, who's, for whatever reason, name, and number were not in the book at the beginning of the game, unnoticed by the officials, and unknown to the coach, until he sends him to the table to sub in as the fifth player, when the scorekeeper announces to the coaches, and officials, "He's not in the book". The coach, whose team has the ball for the next throwin, considers the advantage of having a fifth player, versus, the disadvantage of adding a name, and number, to the book, earning a technical foul, losing the ball, the opponent getting two free throws, and the ball back. Can the coach refuse to sub him in for the reasons above? If not, can the coach just say, as in previous posts, "He's not available."?

He can sit there on the bench and it's ok with me. "He's our mascot," or whatever. But once he gets to the table, it's too late to say he's not available.

mick Sun Dec 14, 2008 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oz Referee (Post 558135)
With only one player it would be impossible to inbound the ball legally etc....

Impossible?
Bounce it off an opponent.

Let an opponent shoot and get a rebound, then dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble..., for three minutes? For 15 seconds?

BillyMac Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:24pm

Not Available, Not Eligible / Available, Eligible ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oz Referee (Post 558136)

Correct, he's not a player, but:

4-34-4: A team member is a member of bench personnel who is in uniform
and is eligible to become a player

Not to argue, just want to make you go hmmm...

Adam Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 558170)

Coach: "He's not eligible."

Oz Referee Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 558170)

Hmmm......Not in FIBA:

4.1.2 A team member is entitled to play when his name has been entered on the scoresheet before the start of the game and as long as he has neither been disqualified nor committed five (5) fouls. (emphasis added)

Additionally, it is not possible to add a player to the scoresheet by "buying" a technical foul. If the player is not on the sheet when the game starts - they can't play.