The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Your very best advice for a new ref

OK, here's your chance to influence a rookie official.

I'm a 1st year basketball official, doing 9th grade and JV games (boys and girls). Longtime youth basketball coach, so I understand the game pretty well. Have officiated some rec games in the past.

What's your best advice for a rookie ref at this level?

Fire away...
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Best advice I can give for someone who is just starting out, is try to do your best at all times. When a Varsity official offers some pointers take them and see if you can use them in your game. When ever you get the possibility to watch a varsity game after you finish your JV game try to. You will get to see them work the games and see how they do it. My final two peices of advices I can give you is try to find a mentor some chapters offer a chance for veteran officials to work with younger or officials who are just breaking into the game, and finally,if possible during the summer try to go to a camp. Those are great oppurtunities to get to have people see how you work a game and will allow you to get great instructions.

I hope this information was vital to you; it has helped ever since I started working basketball 5 years ago.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
OK, here's your chance to influence a rookie official.

I'm a 1st year basketball official, doing 9th grade and JV games (boys and girls). Longtime youth basketball coach, so I understand the game pretty well. Have officiated some rec games in the past.

What's your best advice for a rookie ref at this level?

Fire away...
First and foremost.... HAVE FUN!
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 01:13pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Congrats on starting out at that high a level. I'm in my 3rd yr and still do mostly 7th, 8th, MS and Freshman games. I am getting some JV and V now though.

Along with what's already been said - relax on the court, have fun and enjoy what your doing, always hustle, be confident, know the proper hand/arm signals - practice them and use them correctly, officiate as many games as possible no matter what level (but, avoid mens rec league ), don't listen/hear the players/coaches/fans whining, trust your partner, concentrate on your primary, never throw your partner under the bus, have a thick skin, lurk and learn on this Forum, and very importantly (from a former player/coach) READ THE RULE BOOKS. As players/coaches you only thought you knew the rules..... I'm sure others will chime in with more.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Have fun. Learn the signals. You can be a bad official with good mechanics and a good appearance. If you look good, you can get away with more. Be a sponge. Always listen to other officials. Find your own "groove."

Remember, a foul is only a foul. It is not a felony. Good luck.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Remember first of all that no matter how many years you coached, you probably don't know the rules as well as you think you do. Be humble when talking to other refs about the rules. Listen. If you're sure they're wrong, go look in the books.

Choose one or two things to focus on in a game, and don't worry about rhe rest. I usually try to pick one rule thing, one or two mechanics things like signals, and a thought process to refine, such as watching off ball, or seeing the defense in the block/charge.

Don't forget that you're there for the kids. You decide ahead of time how you're going to serve the kids (give them a great game, firm boundaries, cheerful pleasant demeanor), and what you're not going to do (yell, talk too much, or whatever).

Keep a journal. At the end of the game, write down five things good that you did, five things that definitely need work. And any other notes, such os to look up a certain rule, or ask your commissioner about a certain aspect of the floor or sportsmanship.

As others have said, have fun! You might be in it for the money, or for the exercise, or for the unbelievable status and standing and hero worship that refs get! But it aint worth any of that if it's not fun.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Don't forget that you're there for the kids. You decide ahead of time how you're going to serve the kids
I wouldn't go around assuming why other people officiate. I know I have never officiated a game for the kids and I have never even heard of someone thinking about how they will "serve the kids".
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 06:12pm
We don't rent pigs

Slow down. See the play through. Then, don't be afraid to blow the whistle if you think it might be too late. It isn't.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
I wouldn't go around assuming why other people officiate. I know I have never officiated a game for the kids and I have never even heard of someone thinking about how they will "serve the kids".
I'm not sure what you mean about assuming why other people officiate. I wasn't suggesting it, and I wasn't doing it. I'm just saying that the game is there for the kids to have a growing experience, a learning experience. When you referee to give them the best game you can give, they have the chance to learn more and to grow more. When you're just reffing to get done and get home, no one wins.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 06:38pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I have always asked the varsity guys if there was something I could work on. Most of the time, they will give you a pointer or two. Observe them in the varsity game so you can see what they were pointing out. Ask if you can sit in for their halftime chat.

Never be a 'yabut'.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 08:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

As many of us know, the first rule of officiating is:

"Tuck your whistle in your shirt before you take a leak."
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

I'd find out when some of the highhly regarded referees in your association are calling and go watch them from the table. Watch how they work the game and communicate. There are lots of things not in the rule books you can pick up that will help your game get better.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 09:18pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I'd find out when some of the highhly regarded referees in your association are calling and go watch them from the table. Watch how they work the game and communicate. There are lots of things not in the rule books you can pick up that will help your game get better.

"It will be in the 2nd half, coach."
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the game!

8+ years and I mainly stay at the Jr High level...it's where my heart and interest lies. I've done some summer HS ball but nothing official on Friday nights.

Know your nerves are a good thing...it means you care about doing a good job.

Talk to yourself on the court, give yourself a play by play as you are watching...this can help you a great deal. As you cross halfcourt, remind yourself "White this way or blue this way"...

Focus on one thing to improve on each game...be it getting your arm up straight on calls, perfeciting your 5 and 10 second chop to actually be 5 and 10 seconds.

Have fun...it's just a game...
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Having yourself videoed is also a valuable tool for improving. U can see yourself in all your glory or just the opposite. Take in all the pointers u can, even though it may not come accros in the best way. Never let others take away the enjoyment u get from calling the game. I'm all about having a good time while doing the best job I can. Good luck