The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Assistant Coach (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50322-assistant-coach.html)

Johnny Ringo Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:33am

Assistant Coach

Can the assistant coach call a timeout? Can an assistant coach stand up and coach alongside the head coach ...

JBleach85 Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:56am

The assistant coach cannot request for a timeout, nor can an assistant stand up along with the head coach. Some assistants think that they have the same ability as the head coach becasue they have the title next to their names. It is funny how they always want to be ones to complain about things when the head coach never says a word about a foul or a violation being called. Hope this information helped you out.

Johnny Ringo Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:57pm

OK ... other than calling a timeout, I assume most have a long leash if the assistant coach is simply coaching or cheering.

I did not say anyhting about the assistant complaining.

Also, if the assistant is yelling for the timeout and you recognize that - would you ignore it?

newera21 Sat Dec 13, 2008 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 557877)
OK ... other than calling a timeout, I assume most have a long leash if the assistant coach is simply coaching or cheering.

Also, if the assistant is yelling for the timeout and you recognize that - would you ignore it?

An assistant coach can do no more than a team member on the bench can do. They can stand to spontaneously react to a good play by a member of their team or they can stand to acknowledge a player who just left the game. Other than holding a clipboard, that's the limits of what they can do.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Dec 13, 2008 01:52pm

Don't quote me on this but assistant coaches are like children, they are to be seen and not heard. :D

MTD, Sr.

Adam Sat Dec 13, 2008 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 557877)

Assistant coaches do not stand to coach. No, there is no leash for this. A quick word to the head coach, "Coach, you're the only one from your team who gets to stand."

And yes, I ignore the timeout request from an assistant coach. If the HC wants it, he'll ask.

Bad Zebra Sat Dec 13, 2008 05:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by newera21 (Post 557879)
Other than holding a clipboard, that's the limits of what they can do.

They are also useful for holding a towel for mopping up a wet spot on the floor.

just another ref Sat Dec 13, 2008 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 557886)
Don't quote me on this but assistant coaches are like children, they are to be seen and not heard. :D

MTD, Sr.

Nobody tells me what to do.:D

Sorry, had a Padgett attack.

sseltser Sat Dec 13, 2008 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 557870)
Can the assistant coach call a timeout? Can an assistant coach stand up and coach alongside the head coach ...

Nope. Although, neither can the head coach.

mbyron Sun Dec 14, 2008 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sseltser (Post 557932)
Nope. Although, neither can the head coach.

This padgettitis is catching. :eek:

bob jenkins Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 558008)
This padgettitis is catching. :eek:

And you seem to have caught a bad case of it. Be careful that it doesn't become chronic.