The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm probably the only one who saw it

JVB 3 whistle. I’m C in transition. B1 catches ball near division line, both feet in front court. As he begins to race towards his basket, he takes a quick stutter step backwards to build momentum and start his dribble. Problem is he didn’t have room for that move and his short step took him into BC territory; right in front of me as C. I had the call, but didn’t like making it for a variety of reasons.

Question: is this a call the C should get?

Rant: I hate calling things that only I can see.

Observation: I really need to get more 3 whistle games to develop better partner awareness. Fortunately, 4 of my 5 games next week are three person.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

C has Tip to Tip, sideline to sideline in transition. Yes, that is C's call
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:06pm
(Something hilarious)

Thumbs up

This exact topic has been brought up twice in recent college pregames I've been on. I say get it, for sure. Just sell it.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

First, that's great their doing 3-man for JV games in your area. I wish we had that here.

Second, I think if you have the call you need to make it regardless of location. I know we've discussed numerous times covering your primary, but in this case it seems you had a clear view of the play. Your partners may wonder simply because they may not have seen it, but that goes with the territory of trusting the folks you work with (or should).
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Did you see it?
Yes - call it!
No - don't call it!
Not sure - don't call it!
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
First, that's great their doing 3-man for JV games in your area. I wish we had that here.
Agreed. This area is, I think, the first in CO to do JV this way. $6 less per game, but well worth it for the 3-person experience as well as the extra games it provides.

I was pretty sure this is C's call, especially on my sideline 5 feet away from me. T was curious later and thought he'd had a good look at it. I could tell he disagreed, but he let it go after I told him what I saw.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
JVB 3 whistle. I’m C in transition. B1 catches ball near division line, both feet in front court. As he begins to race towards his basket, he takes a quick stutter step backwards to build momentum and start his dribble. Problem is he didn’t have room for that move and his short step took him into BC territory; right in front of me as C. I had the call, but didn’t like making it for a variety of reasons.

Rant: I hate calling things that only I can see.

Observation: I really need to get more 3 whistle games to develop better partner awareness. Fortunately, 4 of my 5 games next week are three person.
YU.P.
The Center [ahead of the ball] should pause at the division line to take a trouble call just like that.
We'll get it next time.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

I would call it. It really is the T's line, but if he isn't far enough up court yet, you really have to get it if you see it. Better to get it than see it and let it go just because it may not be "your call".

Last edited by zm1283; Fri Dec 12, 2008 at 02:29pm.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:27pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Agreed. This area is, I think, the first in CO to do JV this way. $6 less per game, but well worth it for the 3-person experience as well as the extra games it provides.

I was pretty sure this is C's call, especially on my sideline 5 feet away from me. T was curious later and thought he'd had a good look at it. I could tell he disagreed, but he let it go after I told him what I saw.
In 3-person, you have the "alley" from sideline to sideline when in transition...you are the only one who can see this, so call it. The same would be true if there was a big crash PC/block type call - the C has to come across and get those because as T, I am looking at nothing but the ball-handler's back. These are fantastic C calls.