The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Break out the pain killers (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50299-break-out-pain-killers.html)

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 11, 2008 05:33pm

Break out the pain killers

Final middle school tournament of the "pre-season" this weekend, plus rec league games. Starting Friday night, I have seven games in 24 hours (Saturday morning games start at 8:15 - yippee!). Then more on Sunday. Gee - I hope for the coaches sakes I don't get too cranky. :p

eyezen Thu Dec 11, 2008 05:45pm

whore

grunewar Thu Dec 11, 2008 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 557566)
Gee - I hope for the coaches sakes I don't get too cranky. :p

Almost hard to believe this is even possible! :D

mbyron Fri Dec 12, 2008 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 557585)
Almost hard to believe this is even possible! :D

He's aiming for just the right level of cranky. ;)

fullor30 Fri Dec 12, 2008 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 557568)
whore

I'll fix it for ya

Who're your partners?

refnrev Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 557566)
Final middle school tournament of the "pre-season" this weekend, plus rec league games. Starting Friday night, I have seven games in 24 hours (Saturday morning games start at 8:15 - yippee!). Then more on Sunday. Gee - I hope for the coaches sakes I don't get too cranky. :p

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev (Post 557676)

Yeah, but it pays so well. :o

grunewar Fri Dec 12, 2008 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev (Post 557676)

Scary that it is, I thought of Mark at my 7th Grade Girls game last night too as we were deep in the 4th quarter with the score tied at 20! :eek: Hmm, what would Mark do here? I couldn't find a reason to T anyone up so I let it play out to its natural conclusion (28-24).

If anyone asked me why I had a smile on my face as I'm at a timeout, it would been hard to explain. Ya see there's this ref who hates OT......and what he does is.... :p

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 12, 2008 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 557723)
Scary that it is, I thought of Mark at my 7th Grade Girls game last night too as we were deep in the 4th quarter with the score tied at 20! :eek: Hmm, what would Mark do here? I couldn't find a reason to T anyone up so I let it play out to its natural conclusion (28-24).

If anyone asked me why I had a smile on my face as I'm at a timeout, it would been hard to explain. Ya see there's this ref who hates OT......and what he does is.... :p

I'm going to offer a class on how to get your partner to T up a coach late in a close game. Any takers? ;)

stmaryrams Fri Dec 12, 2008 04:49pm

How else can he afford to keep in fishnets?

Those things aren't cheap....or so I've heard.

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:22pm

In one of the games I had on Saturday, the second half foul count was 16-1! Here's the shocking part - not a single complaint from the coach whose team had the 16. Every foul was pretty obvious. They had 24 for the game (three of their starters fouled out), the other team (who won by almost 30 - gee, big surprise) had 5. My partner and I each called about half the fouls and there were no technicals, intentionals or flagrants.

By the end of the game, the fingers on my right hand were sore.

With only one exception, all the games I've had in this tournament have been blowouts. Fortunately, there's a tournament rule that if a team is up by at least 20 with four minutes to go in the game, we go to running clock. Also, no backcourt guarding anytime by a team with a 20+ point lead. I like rules like that.

And no, the "close" game didn't come anywhere near going into OT. ;)