The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is second violation FT Violation?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50291-second-violation-ft-violation.html)

MidMadness Thu Dec 11, 2008 01:19pm

Is second violation FT Violation??

I am pretty sure I am correct, but I have a couple fellas with different opinions on this....A1 shooting 2nd FT.....B2 steps into lane... delayed violation, but then A1 FT hits the rim and bounces up over the backboard. I say 2nd violation comes from behind FT line extended....go to arrow....Some guys are saying when it was obvious it wasn't going in, the FT ended and this is simply a violation on it's own merit. So they say shoot again, what do you guys think??

mbyron Thu Dec 11, 2008 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidMadness (Post 557452)
I am pretty sure I am correct, but I have a couple fellas with different opinions on this....A1 shooting 2nd FT.....B2 steps into lane... delayed violation, but then A1 FT hits the rim and bounces up over the backboard. I say 2nd violation comes from behind FT line extended....go to arrow....Some guys are saying when it was obvious it wasn't going in, the FT ended and this is simply a violation on it's own merit. So they say shoot again, what do you guys think??

Shoot again.

Scrapper1 Thu Dec 11, 2008 01:21pm

Quote:

A1 FT hits the rim and bounces up over the backboard.

This is not a free throw violation. It's simply a missed free throw that went out of bounds. Enforce the lane violation and re-shoot the second free throw.

OHBBREF Thu Dec 11, 2008 01:38pm

Quote:

I am pretty sure I am correct, but I have a couple fellas with different opinions on this....A1 shooting 2nd FT.....B2 steps into lane... delayed violation,

Delayed violation signal given -
Quote:

but then A1 FT hits the rim and bounces up over the backboard. I say 2nd violation comes from behind FT line extended....go to arrow....

Still looking for the second violation

Quote:

this is simply a violation on it's own merit. So they say shoot again, what do you guys think??

they are right.

Adam Thu Dec 11, 2008 01:43pm

Quote:

What's the FT violation? What did the shooter do wrong? What if the ball bounced off the rim, over the rebounders' heads and out of bounds?

MidMadness Thu Dec 11, 2008 01:54pm

Thanks guys.

Thats why they say 2 or 4-5 heads are better than one...makes sense now.

Ref Ump Welsch Thu Dec 11, 2008 01:59pm

Plus remember, if the defense violates first, any subsequent violation by the offense is ignored.

Adam Thu Dec 11, 2008 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 557466)
Plus remember, if the defense violates first, any subsequent violation by the offense is ignored.

His thinking was that if the 2nd (offensive) violation is from behind the line (the shooter or one of the players not on the lane), you would go to the arrow. He's correct.

However, on this play, there is no 2nd FT violation. The OOB violation is not a FT violation, therefore the ball is dead as soon as it's apparent the shot will not be successful (assuming it hits the rim). In this case, it's just a split second prior to going OOB.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 11, 2008 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 557466)

Not true. Any violation by those along the FT lane is ignored.

Ref Ump Welsch Thu Dec 11, 2008 05:46pm

My bad...was grading papers at the same time, so wasn't thinking about the free thrower and those behind the 3 line. *humble bow*

j2u4now Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:24pm

pretty simple

Quote:

regardless of the shot, the violation occurred on the B team. Stay out of the which happened first ideaology. You could even say that B2 caused the poor shot by disconcerting the shooter.