The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kicking violation or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50285-kicking-violation-not.html)

jdmara Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:15am

Kicking violation or not?

Looking at another forum the following question came up:

"A loose ball is rolling away from a player who runs to it and places his/her foot on the top of ball to stop it from rolling (much like a soccer player would do). Clearly the use of the foot in touching the ball to stop it from rolling was intentional. Would you rule this a kicking violation? What are your thoughts?"

Although I know many of us look at both, what are everyone's thoughts on this?

Personally, I would call it a kick ball violation to "play" the ball intentionally with any part of the leg. But as I've said before, I'm always willing to change that opinion if the facts say that I'm wrong.

-Josh

Adam Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:16am

I think that's how most of us do it as well. There is an NCAA ruling stipulating this; the NFHS has been silent on the question as far as I know.

Bad Zebra Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:22am

I think everyone would agree it was intentional...and that the foot is part of the leg. The only question then becomes "does stopping a rolling ball with the bottom of the foot constitute a "strike"? Me? I'm calling a kick...Partly because I believe the spirit of the rule is to not use any part of the leg to control a basketball.

Clark Kent Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:29am

4-29 says "Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot"

I assume we'd all agree that it was intentional and obviously he/she used a part of his/her leg or foot to stop the ball from rolling, so I guess it comes down to the definition of "striking"

M-W.com defines "Strike" in a plethora of ways, however all seem to be in an aggressive manner, such as "to deliver a blow, stroke or thrust". Placing one's foot on top of the ball to stop it from rolling, seems innocent enough and I would assume the player didn't feel that it was a violation or he/she wouldn't have done it. However I would agree and have to say that I would blow my whistle and call it a kick.

IREFU2 Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:32am

I agree, it needs to be more clearly defined by NFHS. Right now its up to ones interpretation of the rule.

jdmara Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:38am

I really think it's clear the intent of the rule is not to be able to play the ball with your foot/leg. However on the other site some believe very strongly that this is not a violation because stopping the ball is not striking

-Josh

Raymond Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 557332)
I agree, it needs to be more clearly defined by NFHS. Right now its up to ones interpretation of the rule.

You need call it a kick...that is now your official interp. :D

IREFU2 Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 557338)
You need call it a kick...that is now your official interp. :D

But is it really a kick? Are you stricking the ball with your foot? Things that make you say Hmmmmmm!!!!!

Scrapper1 Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 557341)
But is it really a kick? Are you stricking the ball with your foot?

Yes, it's really a kick. You are striking the ball -- ever so gently -- but striking, nonetheless.

tjones1 Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:11am

Agreed, I'm calling a violation.

mick Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:13am

Kick

Zoochy Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:26am

VIOLATION all the way. Player used the leg to control the ball.
I had a player lying on the ground with the basketball between the legs, near the feet. The player used their foot to pull the ball towards the body and hands. I called a 'Kick Ball' violation!

IREFU2 Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:27am

I guess you could look at the definition of kick, which is to stike, and that definition also has the word to hit, which also means to come into contact with forcefully and suddenly, so if you process all of that, then its a violation!!!!!! Still needs a clearer clarification from the FEDS!

Camron Rust Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:44am

Intent is to no play the ball with the legs/feet....it is a kick. Gotta know the intent of the rule (not just the letter).

Raymond Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 557364)
I guess you could look at the definition of kick, which is to stike, and that definition also has the word to hit, which also means to come into contact with forcefully and suddenly, so if you process all of that, then its a violation!!!!!! Still needs a clearer clarification from the FEDS!

You have your marching orders. Just shut up and color. :D