The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   delay of game/throw-in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50284-delay-game-throw.html)

Adam Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:25am

Rotflmao!

rockyroad Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 557322)
You're going to an intentional foul on contact that wouldn't even warrant a personal foul in normal circumstances?

Maybe...depends on the contact. There is some contact that would be considered inadvertent on the court that would not be inadvertent on a inbounder (is that a real word?).

Adam Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:18am

I think you mean "incidental," and I actually agree with that. That said, I think it would have to have an impact to call the intentional foul. I agree that impact may be easier to find on a thrower, though.

Illini_Ref Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:33am

I have this understanding of this rule.

A opponent can never reach across and touch the ball BEFORE it is released. If it has been released it can be touched by reaching through the plane UNLESS it is NOT a spot throw-in.

Examples: A1 has a designated spot throw-in. A1 releases the ball on a throw-in. B1 reaches through the plane and contacts the ball while it is out of A1's hands. I have nothing here.

Now let's say the throw-in by A1 is after a made basket by B. Same thing occurs, I have a warning for breaking the plane.

This is the way this rule has been interpreted for me. Is this correct? I don't have access to a book right now, but I know that there is language in there about reaching through BEFORE the ball is released on a throw-in during a spot throw-in.

Adam Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:36am

Close. If the ball has been released for the throwin pass, B1 is free to reach across. It gets tricky on an endline throwin (or it could, anyway) because A1 might be throwing to a teammate standing OOB. If this happens and B1 reaches across, it's a violation. If A1 throws to a teammate inbounds, B1 may reach across.

just another ref Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 557368)
It gets tricky on an endline throwin (or it could, anyway) because A1 might be throwing to a teammate standing OOB. If this happens and B1 reaches across, it's a violation.

Actually, it's a technical.

Adam Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 557371)
Actually, it's a technical.

Only if a) they've already been warned, or b) they hit the ball.

Either way, it's still under rule 9, violations.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jburt (Post 557282)
I have searched through some past threads but haven't had any luck finding an answer. I also do not have my books with me at work...

60seconds on officiating got me thinking about this situation:
A1 is inbounding. B1 reaches across the boundary line and contacts A1

I know that is an intentional foul my question is: is a delay of game warning also issued for breaking the plane?

JBurt:

Assuming you are talking about a game being played using NFHS Rules, if an official warning for any of the four delays listed in R4-S47 has not yet been issued to Team B, then an official warning shall be issued to Team B as well as the intentional personal foul charged to B1. Furthermore, if Team B had not yet been issued an official warning and instead B1 reached across the boundary plane and made contact with the ball, B1 would be charged with a technical foul and Team B would be issued an official warning.

MTD, Sr.

Jburt Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:31pm

thanks for your reply's and good discussion.

just another ref Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 557379)
Only if a) they've already been warned, or b) they hit the ball.

Either way, it's still under rule 9, violations.

The post prior to your involved contact with the ball, so I assumed that's what we were still talking about.

IREFU2 Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:34pm

The ball or the thrower-in???

OHBBREF Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 557304)
I know a foul here is automatically intentional, that wasn't my question.
My question is whether "contact" automatically equals a foul in this case. Your rule quote above seems to answer that in the negative. Contact does not necessarily mean a foul must be called.

NO warning for delay required here reflects that you do not have to issue the warning prior to making the call.

however I would assume that the warning comes with the call as is the action of reaching through the plane is violation, the NCAA specificall covers this in several sections to say the warning comes with the foul call.

Adam Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 557434)
NO warning for delay required here reflects that you do not have to issue the warning prior to making the call.

however I would assume that the warning comes with the call as is the action of reaching through the plane is violation, the NCAA specificall covers this in several sections to say the warning comes with the foul call.

Agreed, but I've never contradicted this. NFHS also specifically states that if you call an intentional or technical for this, the warning is issued at the same time.