The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Hair Control

In the part II test question #83 states the following....

"An item used to control the hair may be of any color"

I realize that the answer is true, or so assume it is because I can't find a reference to where it is stated that a hair control can be of any color. 3-5-3d mentions hair control devices but says nothing of color. Does anyone have a reference or does by it not being mentioned imply that it is legally acceptable?

Thanks
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

True
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

I've been waiting for someone else to answer this, but apparently I'll have to just add my questions.

From the new rules, it looks like the rules committee wants us to see sweatbands and pre-wrap as the same thing. Is that right?

So it can't be one player with a sweatband, and the rest have pre-wrap. At least, that's how I"m reading it. And they all have to "match"? It just seems so micro-managing!
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 05:07pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
From the new rules, it looks like the rules committee wants us to see sweatbands and pre-wrap as the same thing. Is that right?

So it can't be one player with a sweatband, and the rest have pre-wrap. At least, that's how I"m reading it. And they all have to "match"? It just seems so micro-managing!
Sweatband, pre-wrap, your old fan belt......as long as they're all sorta the same color, it's ok.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've been waiting for someone else to answer this, but apparently I'll have to just add my questions.

From my understanding, the only thing that has to coordinate is the color. I don't believe everyone has to have the exact same sky blue nike sweatband, for instance. I allowed earlier in the season one player to wear black prewrap while the other teammates wore black headbands.

-Josh

just another ref beat me too it...darn...I think the fan belt would be illegal though. It's abrasive
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 05:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

You are really over thinking this. I am about to repeat what is in the rulebook.

The NF is saying that anything that goes around your head must fit the same classifications. All they did was define (or redefine) the headband and add the ability for different colors to be used.

If everyone fits the color restrictions or match, it does not matter what they wear around their head as long as they fit the definition of a headband. Pre-wrap, elastic straps and sweatbands all apply to this rule.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sweatbands and prewrap are considered the same thing. So, they all have to match in color, but you can have different types of sweatbands. So, yes, some can have the terrycloth, while others can have the pre-wrap.

Micro-managing? Yes. Nano-managing? Not yet.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 07:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I don't believe everyone has to have the exact same sky blue Nike sweatband, for instance.
Fixed it for ya'. Nike is always capitalized, at least here in Oregon.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Fixed it for ya'. Nike is always capitalized, at least here in Oregon.
Thanks Mark. That pesky job is keeping me from paying attention to details on the forum again. I might have to quit the job so I can post better next time

-Josh
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 09:23pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Sweatbands and prewrap are considered the same thing. So, they all have to match in color, but you can have different types of sweatbands.
Girls Freshman game tonight. I had every color prewrap, headband, and sweatband under the sun.....I go up to the coach before the game and say, here are your choices coach - pick one and go with it! They had two girls with blue ones (their uniform color) all the rest dissappeared.....
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 12:53am
We don't rent pigs

sometimes they think you're kidding

Last night, girls varsity, home player wearing a blue headband. I said "Blue headband has gotta go." She stared at me like I was from outer space for a second or two, then turned back to her layup line. BUT THE CREATURE WOULDN'T GO AWAY! I said, "Like....now." She quickly jerked the band off, seemingly annoyed. Do they think we make these up on the spot?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Last night, girls varsity, home player wearing a blue headband. I said "Blue headband has gotta go." She stared at me like I was from outer space for a second or two, then turned back to her layup line. BUT THE CREATURE WOULDN'T GO AWAY! I said, "Like....now." She quickly jerked the band off, seemingly annoyed. Do they think we make these up on the spot?
This happened to me in a girls varsity game a couple weeks ago. Both teams had several different colors on and they looked at us like we were crazy when we told them to remove them.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not quite. One is a sweatband, the other is pre-wrap, and they serve different functions. In this respect, they are different things.

However, the rule concerns the appearance of items that go all the way around the head. Since both of these items do so, they are the same kind of thing, and so both subject to the rule.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Sometimes basketball can be as much a fashion event as an athletic one. You were obviously cramping her style. I would guess that you found a coach who doesn't pass rule changes along to the team.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Not quite. One is a sweatband, the other is pre-wrap, and they serve different functions. In this respect, they are different things.

However, the rule concerns the appearance of items that go all the way around the head. Since both of these items do so, they are the same kind of thing, and so both subject to the rule.
So how about those little skinny rubberband like things that go around the entire head. I have been considering those hair control devices, its starting to seem like my considerations have been wrong.