The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Long Sleeve undershirt (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50263-long-sleeve-undershirt.html)

Bad Zebra Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:01am

Long Sleeve undershirt

Girls Varsity game last night. Player for home team is wearing a white, long sleeve Underarmor type undershirt during warm ups. Looked kinda odd. I can't remember seeing it before. Quick check of the rulebook (Fed) didn't reveal any info that would make it illegal, so we let it go. I looked back at threads discussing undershirts and found one from last year about Candace Parker's in the final four, but that's NCAAW.

Anyone know of a caseplay or rule that I'm missing or are long sleeve undershirts legal for Fed play??

Adam Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:02am

As long as it fits with in the rule restrictions, it's legal. There is no limit on sleeve length.

IREFU2 Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 556977)
Girls Varsity game last night. Player for home team is wearing a white, long sleeve Underarmor type undershirt during warm ups. Looked kinda odd. I can't remember seeing it before. Quick check of the rulebook (Fed) didn't reveal any info that would make it illegal, so we let it go. I looked back at threads discussing undershirts and found one from last year about Candace Parker's in the final four, but that's NCAAW.

Anyone know of a caseplay or rule that I'm missing or are long sleeve undershirts legal for Fed play??

I dont have my rule book here, but I look back at a 2006-07 book and could not find anything. I know Candice Parker (NCAA) wore a long sleeved shirt during some of her games.....other may have more information.

referee99 Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:09am

Legal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 556977)

If unadorned with logos, does not have frayed edges and is a solid color that is similar to the torso of the uni --- AND the sleeves on her undershirt are the same length... LEGAL!

chartrusepengui Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:17am

legal as long as the long sleeves are attached at the shoulder - illegal if just a sleeve. :D

chartrusepengui Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:17am

oops - an not worn for medical reasons!! :-)

Bad Zebra Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:34am

Fashion court rules for the paintiff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 556980)
If unadorned with logos, does not have frayed edges and is a solid color that is similar to the torso of the uni --- AND the sleeves on her undershirt are the same length... LEGAL!

That's exactly what I used as a basis to allow it...wasn't sure if there was an obscure case/interp that might have suggested otherwise.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:13am

I seem to recall reading an NCAAW interp that the sleeves had to end above the elbow now.

Update: From the 12/2 (or 12/4?) conference call:

(3) Undershirts. Undershirts are considered to be part of the game jersey and must be a color similar to that of the game jersey and may not extend below the elbow. As with the game jersey, no visible manufacturer’s logo is permitted on the undershirt.

PIAA REF Wed Dec 10, 2008 01:23pm

food for thought

What if you had a player that wore this, but constantly was pushing the sleeves up during the game. Would you address it? Because by doing so now the sleeves were not the same length. Hmmm?

OHBBREF Wed Dec 10, 2008 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF (Post 557053)
What if you had a player that wore this, but constantly was pushing the sleeves up during the game. Would you address it? Because by doing so now the sleeves were not the same length. Hmmm?

NFHS from last year
ART. 5 . . . Undershirts shall be similar in color to the torso of the jersey and shall be hemmed and not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length.

The NCAA is similar with the codicil that the sleves may not extend below the elbows.

referee99 Wed Dec 10, 2008 01:46pm

or, ala Grease - The Musical

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF (Post 557053)

He keeps a pack of cigarettes under one sleeve folded back on his shoulder?

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/Im...47R-120790.jpg

OHBBREF Wed Dec 10, 2008 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 557060)
He keeps a pack of cigarettes under one sleeve folded back on his shoulder?

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/Im...47R-120790.jpg

that is easy you can't use tabacco products, that is a T

Adam Wed Dec 10, 2008 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 557064)
that is easy you can't use tabacco products, that is a T

Ah, but can you have tobacco products?

BTW, I believe using tobacco during a game is not only a T, but a flagrant T.

referee99 Wed Dec 10, 2008 02:05pm

i wasn't using ref!

i was just holdin'...

tjones1 Wed Dec 10, 2008 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 557072)
Ah, but can you have tobacco products?

BTW, I believe using tobacco during a game is not only a T, but a flagrant T.

Just a player technical - 10 throws plus the ball for division-line throw-in.

1010-11-110 (10-3-6g)

PENALTY: (Section 3) 10 free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in.

:D