The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Elbow Brace

Had a humdinger tonight. Fr girls. cute little player comes up and asks if her elbow brace is legal. "It's all padded and everything, see?" I hesitated, since I couldn't remember the exact rule right off the top of my head. But finally, I said, no it's not legal, even with the padding. Well it turned into a 15 minute discussion, including a very angry father who insisted it had to be legal, because, "I ordered it off the internet!!" Ah, okay, well, I guess I'll let it go then !!

I didn't have my books with me, so I finally called our commissioner, and he confirmed that it wasn't legal.

The girl played without the brace, with her elbow taped. The dad insists that if she gets hurt as a result, I'm liable. Right, like it's my job to make up for his stupidity.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 01:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Dad is wrong. This is not football where you can wear hard plastic braces or casts, as long as they are padded.

And all you have to do is look in the early pages of the rulebook and certainly in the Simplified and Illustrated Book shows several examples of what is legal.

My question is why were you talking to Dad anyway? Was he the coach? If not you do not owe the Dad any explanation.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 04:29am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Had a humdinger tonight. Fr girls. cute little player comes up and asks if her elbow brace is legal. "It's all padded and everything, see?" I hesitated, since I couldn't remember the exact rule right off the top of my head. But finally, I said, no it's not legal, even with the padding. Well it turned into a 15 minute discussion, including a very angry father who insisted it had to be legal, because, "I ordered it off the internet!!" Ah, okay, well, I guess I'll let it go then !!

I didn't have my books with me, so I finally called our commissioner, and he confirmed that it wasn't legal.

The girl played without the brace, with her elbow taped. The dad insists that if she gets hurt as a result, I'm liable. Right, like it's my job to make up for his stupidity.
Good call, Juulie!!! U da GAL!

3-5-2a. A guard, cast or brace made of hard and unyielding leather, plaster, pliable (soft) plastic, metal or any other hard substance may not be worn on the elbow, hand, finger, wrist or forearm; even though covered with soft padding.

Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 08:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
"Uhm, Dad, I said she can't play with it on; not that she had to play."
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
"Uhm, Dad, I said she can't play with it on; not that she had to play."
Or, to put the burden even more clearly on him: "Dad, if she's at risk of further injury without the brace, why would you make her play?"
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Bravo

Way to go Julie

WOOO HOOO ! Idiots Parade !

You could always tell him his daughter can participate with the brace on as long as she does so from the confines of the team bench.