The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Elbow Brace (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50258-elbow-brace.html)

Juulie Downs Wed Dec 10, 2008 01:05am

Elbow Brace

Had a humdinger tonight. Fr girls. cute little player comes up and asks if her elbow brace is legal. "It's all padded and everything, see?" I hesitated, since I couldn't remember the exact rule right off the top of my head. But finally, I said, no it's not legal, even with the padding. Well it turned into a 15 minute discussion, including a very angry father who insisted it had to be legal, because, "I ordered it off the internet!!" Ah, okay, well, I guess I'll let it go then :rolleyes:!!

I didn't have my books with me, so I finally called our commissioner, and he confirmed that it wasn't legal.

The girl played without the brace, with her elbow taped. The dad insists that if she gets hurt as a result, I'm liable. Right, like it's my job to make up for his stupidity.

JRutledge Wed Dec 10, 2008 01:11am

Dad is wrong. This is not football where you can wear hard plastic braces or casts, as long as they are padded.

And all you have to do is look in the early pages of the rulebook and certainly in the Simplified and Illustrated Book shows several examples of what is legal.

My question is why were you talking to Dad anyway? Was he the coach? If not you do not owe the Dad any explanation.

Peace

Nevadaref Wed Dec 10, 2008 04:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 556905)
Had a humdinger tonight. Fr girls. cute little player comes up and asks if her elbow brace is legal. "It's all padded and everything, see?" I hesitated, since I couldn't remember the exact rule right off the top of my head. But finally, I said, no it's not legal, even with the padding. Well it turned into a 15 minute discussion, including a very angry father who insisted it had to be legal, because, "I ordered it off the internet!!" Ah, okay, well, I guess I'll let it go then :rolleyes:!!

I didn't have my books with me, so I finally called our commissioner, and he confirmed that it wasn't legal.

The girl played without the brace, with her elbow taped. The dad insists that if she gets hurt as a result, I'm liable. Right, like it's my job to make up for his stupidity.

Good call, Juulie!!! :) U da GAL!

3-5-2a. A guard, cast or brace made of hard and unyielding leather, plaster, pliable (soft) plastic, metal or any other hard substance may not be worn on the elbow, hand, finger, wrist or forearm; even though covered with soft padding.

Adam Wed Dec 10, 2008 08:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 556905)

"Uhm, Dad, I said she can't play with it on; not that she had to play."

mbyron Wed Dec 10, 2008 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 556943)
"Uhm, Dad, I said she can't play with it on; not that she had to play."

Or, to put the burden even more clearly on him: "Dad, if she's at risk of further injury without the brace, why would you make her play?"

OHBBREF Wed Dec 10, 2008 08:43am

Bravo

Way to go Julie

WOOO HOOO ! Idiots Parade !

You could always tell him his daughter can participate with the brace on as long as she does so from the confines of the team bench. :D