The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Looking for a Toe (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50227-looking-toe.html)

Camron Rust Mon Dec 08, 2008 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 556318)
I agree, get the call right, but if I was your partner I'd be a little miffed that you didn't come and talk to me about it before just changing it. It's my call, and if you have information you want to share, by all means come share it with me and allow me to change my own call so I don't look like an a$$.

Disagree. This is the ONE situation where you just stop the clock, indicate two points, and move on.

sseltser Mon Dec 08, 2008 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 556376)
Disagree. This is the ONE situation where you just stop the clock, indicate two points, and move on.

That is what I have always read, so I just did it somewhat instinctively. I think I will mention it in a pregame from now on.

Also, I really wasn't ball watching, but I was cognizant of where the ball was. And the shooter just happened to be inside my field of vision when the shot went up.

Adam Mon Dec 08, 2008 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sseltser (Post 556438)
That is what I have always read, so I just did it somewhat instinctively. I think I will mention it in a pregame from now on.

Also, I really wasn't ball watching, but I was cognizant of where the ball was. And the shooter just happened to be inside my field of vision when the shot went up.

I realize it didn't come across the way I intended it. I didn't mean to imply you were ball watching; I was talking about my personal progress as an official and how I've trained (and am still training) myself to quit ball watching. To me, it started with not calling the travels and double dribbles that I clearly should not have been seeing.

I know sometimes we catch that foot on the line; it only takes a brief glance.

I realize this is different than the travels, double dribbles, carries, and maybe fouls that I would dial long distance for in my early days. I'm willing to admit I was wrong on this one. :)

mick Mon Dec 08, 2008 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 556452)
To me, it started with not calling the travels and double dribbles that I clearly should not have been seeing.

I know sometimes we catch that foot on the line; it only takes a brief glance.

I realize this is different than the travels, double dribbles, carries, and maybe fouls that I would dial long distance for in my early days. I'm willing to admit I was wrong on this one. :)

I don't disagree with you, Snaqs.

Yet, I still find it a bit uncomfortable when I am table-side Center and I no-call a miss by my partners, ... while the Coach [behind me] wonders how I "...Could not see that !!?"

Adam Mon Dec 08, 2008 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 556458)
I don't disagree with you, Snaqs.

Yet, I still find it a bit uncomfortable when I am table-side Center and I no-call a miss by my partners, ... while the Coach [behind me] wonders how I "...Could not see that !!?"

I know. But it's a lot easier than explaining to my partner why I called a travel-that-wasn't right in front of him. Did it twice one season to veteran officials (one JV game and one varsity game). I apologized each time before they could bring it up.

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 08, 2008 06:24pm

I agree that you don't want to even be looking at travels, etc. out of your area. In one of my first seasons I "helpfully" called a backcourt violation...from lead. And I got the call wrong. I too have had to train myself to not call stuff in my partner's pond when I see it, unless it's the proverbial elephant.

But would it be the next step in the progression from padowan umpire to Jedi referee (tm) to be aware of when there are situations where a single, well-timed glance into your partner's pond might put you in a position to help the crew?

It's a question I'm asking myself too.

BillyMac Mon Dec 08, 2008 09:05pm

We will only correct if we are 100% sure ...

From my long version pregame, regarding a shot from that gray area, foul line extended, on the lead's side:

Two-Point / Three-Point Shot
If one official incorrectly signals the number of points, the other official will simply blow the whistle immediately, discuss the play with our partner, come to a decision, signal the correct number of points to the table, and resume the game.