The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Visiting Northern hemisphere referees (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50195-visiting-northern-hemisphere-referees.html)

Karin Sat Dec 06, 2008 06:53am

Visiting Northern hemisphere referees

Have just finished a week of Pacific School Games.I had the fantastic experience of a couple of visiting officials one Canadian and one who works/worked the NCAA conferences coming to help.
The mainly junior officials(15-21) who worked games U12 and U18 panels were able to get education and input from the girls which enhanced the week immensely.Fiba rules are used here but the different perspective and game management techniques they gave to the young officials was of huge benefit-different rules/mechanics etc can cross over to the betterment of all.
Just wanted to comment on a really positive time.

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:14pm

Sounds like a really good experience. Did the visitors have to take a "refresher" course on your rules at all? BTW - I have a passport and would come down there for a modest fee.

Karin Sat Dec 06, 2008 05:02pm

They came via NZ where they both currently live and work the NZ National League,so no refresher needed!
They also reffed with the local National Panel officials(adults)and used NCAA mechanics,pre game etc.The locals enjoyed the experience and have included some tips into their repertoire.Last night when I was doing the eval on a Womans National League game-the official was very obviously working the lead position in NCAA style-it was very effective in comparison to the mechanic variation used here.
Always happy to have visiting officials-sadly my education budget doesn't extend to flights from the States but if anyone is in Australia happy to hear from them.

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 06, 2008 05:07pm

Maybe I can work it in soon. Under the new administration here, I expect to be named U.S. Ambassador to Antarctica. That's not too long a flight.

mick Sat Dec 06, 2008 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 555950)
Maybe I can work it in soon. Under the new administration here, I expect to be named U.S. Ambassador to Antarctica. That's not too long a flight.

...Not even after the pardon.... :cool:

Juulie Downs Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 555952)
...Not even after the pardon.... :cool:

...but he speaks fluent penguinese, all five dialects.

mick Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 555993)

Really, Jewel?
I thought he was talking turkey.

BillyMac Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:14pm

I Think It's Called The Southern Polar Express ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 555950)

Take the train. It's cheaper.

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 555993)

A man approaches a woman at a bar and yells, "A 500 POUND PENGUIN!". She says, "What????" and he replies, "Oh, I thought I'd say something that would break the ice."

OK, where's the meds?