The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50190-backcourt.html)

Rita C Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:46pm

Backcourt?

Ball is in team A's front court. Team B gets the ball and tries to pass it to their frontcourt. A1, at the division line and one foot in her frontcourt, tries to intercept the pass but just touches it and deflects it into team B's frontcourt where she gains control of the ball.

Rita

derwil Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:01pm

Assuming her other foot wasn't a) in the air or b) also in A's frontcourt, you've got nothing as she hasn't established position in her frontcourt. For situation "A" check out the case book 9.9.1 Sit A, "B" above is covered by 9.9.1 Sit C-a.

Her position is considered backcourt if one foot is in frontcourt and the other in backcourt.

Back In The Saddle Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:18am

Perhaps I'm missing a detail, but...

Once B gains possession, it remains in B's possession until A1 gains possession. A1's touching at the division line is of no consequence.

Adam Sat Dec 06, 2008 01:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 555841)
Assuming her other foot wasn't a) in the air or b) also in A's frontcourt, you've got nothing as she hasn't established position in her frontcourt. For situation "A" check out the case book 9.9.1 Sit A, "B" above is covered by 9.9.1 Sit C-a.

Her position is considered backcourt if one foot is in frontcourt and the other in backcourt.

Not a violation, but for a different reason. She never established possession until the she was completely in her backcourt. Even if her other foot was in the air or both feet were in the FC, it's still no violation.

Back In The Saddle Sat Dec 06, 2008 01:16am

Isn't that what I said? :D

derwil Sat Dec 06, 2008 01:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 555871)
Not a violation, but for a different reason. She never established possession until the she was completely in her backcourt. Even if her other foot was in the air or both feet were in the FC, it's still no violation.

A1 regains possesion in Bs frontcourt (her backcourt). She was on the division line - if one foot was in her front court and the other in the air, she has frontcourt status. When she tapped it, then went to backcourt to retrieve it it's a violation. When she stradles the line, she's in backcourt.

Adam Sat Dec 06, 2008 07:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 555873)
Isn't that what I said? :D

Always listen to BITS?

derwil Sat Dec 06, 2008 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 555876)
Sorry partner but you're wrong.

To commit a BC violation, you must have team control. She did not have team control until she gained possession in the BC. It makes no difference what happened prior to her gaining possession. This is a legal play.

You know what, I believe your right....brain farted about the team control part and focused on her being the last to touch. Sorry for being confusing in the earlier posts.

Back In The Saddle Sat Dec 06, 2008 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 555887)
Always listen to BITS?

Only when I'm agreeing with Bob. ;)

Rita C Sat Dec 06, 2008 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 555897)
You know what, I believe your right....brain farted about the team control part and focused on her being the last to touch. Sorry for being confusing in the earlier posts.

Don't feel bad. At least you didn't brain fart on the court like I did.

Which is why I thought it was good to share here.

Rita

Juulie Downs Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 555962)
Don't feel bad. At least you didn't brain fart on the court like I did.

eek!! you called it?

Adam Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 555992)
eek!! you called it?

Takes guts to admit that here. It's nothing compared to my faux pas in my first game this year.

Rita C Sun Dec 07, 2008 02:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 556002)
Takes guts to admit that here.

Not really. That would imply that the snarkers' opinions mattered to me. They put down others just for the reaction and to increase their self importance.

Besides I am by profession and nature a teacher. I have no problem letting others learn from my mistake. To me that's what these boards are for. So I admit my mistakes and ask questions that I already know the answers to when they have come up in a game. I want to help others and myself to become a better official.

Rita

derwil Sun Dec 07, 2008 08:50pm

Awsome attitude Rita. :)

JugglingReferee Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 556002)
Takes guts to admit that here. It's nothing compared to my faux pas in my first game this year.

What happened? You showed up?

Sorry... couldn't resist.