The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Artificial Noisemakers (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50139-artificial-noisemakers.html)

mcdanrd Wed Dec 03, 2008 09:03am

Artificial Noisemakers

Last night I had small high school varsity. You know the gym, no space between the sideline and the bleachers, and a stage at one end. In this gym the students sat on risers on the stage. Several of the students were using megaphones while the visitors were shooting free throws at that end. I had game management tell the students to quit using the megaphones. Between quarters my partner came to me and said he thought that megaphones were not considered artificial noisemakers. After the game we both checked the rule book. In the 2008-09 rule book we could find no reference to artificial noisemakers and in the 2007-08 rule book, rule 2.1.18 only references artificial noise makers with no definition. The case book mentions the band playing and the PA system making broken glass sounds only. Are megaphones considered artificail noisemakers AND has that rule been omitted from the 2008-09 rule book or have I just overlooked it?

Caesar's Ghost Wed Dec 03, 2008 09:34am

I dont think its changed but there were more case plays the year it was adopted. Megaphones are legal for cheerleaders unless they are banged on the floor (the megaphones, not the cheerleaders)

Indianaref Wed Dec 03, 2008 09:34am

I would say that you were correct in telling game management to instruct the students to quit using the megaphones. If you look at 10.1.3 Situation A, it specifically says the coach can not use a megaphone. If the coach is forbidden to use it, I would say the students could not either. However, the coach or students could use a rolled up program. I could be wrong, maybe somebody has some old case plays.

SDRef Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost (Post 554882)
I don't think its changed but there were more case plays the year it was adopted. Megaphones are legal for cheerleaders unless they are banged on the floor (the megaphones, not the cheerleaders)

Thanks. I just spit coffee on my computer.

mcdanrd Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdanrd (Post 554866)
In the 2008-09 rule book we could find no reference to artificial noisemakers and in the 2007-08 rule book, rule 2.1.18 only references artificial noise makers with no definition.

I'm an idiot! the rule is 1.18 and it is still in the rule book. There is no definition for noisemakers however. CG, I would like to know where you found the reference to the acceptable use of megaphones by cheerleaders.

CoachP Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:42am

I wouldn't consider a megaphone a "noisemaker". It just directs the sound waves that are already there to make it "seem" louder.

I relate artificial noise "makers" as those annoying objects ...like cowbells, air horns and 2 liter bottles 1/4 full of bb's

mbyron Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 554961)
I relate artificial noise "makers" as those annoying objects ...like cowbells, air horns and 2 liter bottles 1/4 full of bb's

The first two I was expecting. What else is on your list?

bob jenkins Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdanrd (Post 554955)
I'm an idiot! the rule is 1.18 and it is still in the rule book. There is no definition for noisemakers however. CG, I would like to know where you found the reference to the acceptable use of megaphones by cheerleaders.

I don't know where s/he found the reference, but one is in 2001-02 interps:
SITUATION 6: The school-sponsored cheerleaders wish to use megaphones as part of their cheerleading routines from the sidelines. RULING: The new rule prohibiting artificial noisemakers would not apply to the cheerleaders in this situation. The megaphones would only be legal for the cheerleader’s use, provided they were being used appropriately. (1-18)

My guess is that the rule book / case book comments from that year might have more information.

M&M Guy Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 554968)

How about those inflatable "Thundersticks"?

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost (Post 554882)
Megaphones are legal for cheerleaders unless they are banged on the floor (the megaphones, not the cheerleaders)

What if she's over 18? :rolleyes:

grunewar Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:07pm

Quote:

Mbyron - if you go to the bottom of the page in this thread under "similar threads" you will see links to previous further discussions on thunder sticks, kicking the bleachers, cell phone ring tones, etc., etc..... and of course the OT discussion of "what exactly is artificial noise". ;)

mbyron Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 554973)
How about those inflatable "Thundersticks"?

Expected. I'm looking for more items in the "unexpected" category. ;)

M&M Guy Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 554978)
Expected. I'm looking for more items in the "unexpected" category. ;)

Extra-loud farts?

CoachP Wed Dec 03, 2008 01:08pm

Quote:

Things I've seen, er, heard over the years:

Pop cans 1/4 full of bb's, pennies, deer feed, etc.
Kazoo's
plastic clappers/ spoons, etc.

And when I was in HS, we once played at a gym with bleachers on the ends behind the backboard. During FT's the student section would whip out those New Years party favor thingys. You know, them kazoo sounding things but the paper rolls out a foot or so and the returns. I thought it was hilarious to see a hundred of those things at once.

CoachP Wed Dec 03, 2008 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 554986)
Extra-loud farts?

1-18 says artificial.......
;)