The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Something I'm thankful for (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50062-something-im-thankful.html)

Scrapper1 Thu Nov 27, 2008 07:38pm

Something I'm thankful for

I have complained very publicly about what I considered to be over-moderation of the forum in the wake of the "Moderators" thread.

I would now like to very publicly thank the moderators for allowing a bit more balance back into the forum. I think people may still be a little leery of what they can post, but the pictures and off-topic joking over the last couple weeks has been largely left alone.

That is, IMHO, a very good thing; and I thank you guys for backing off a bit.

BillyMac Thu Nov 27, 2008 08:17pm

If So, I'll Start Surfing The Internet Right Now ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 553703)
I would now like to very publicly thank the moderators for allowing a bit more balance back into the forum. I think people may still be a little leery of what they can post, but the pictures and off-topic joking over the last couple weeks has been largely left alone. That is a very good thing; and I thank you guys for backing off a bit.

Is this some type of invitation that allows me, or even encourages me, to do something?

Mark Padgett Thu Nov 27, 2008 08:51pm

Quote:

but the pictures and off-topic joking over the last couple weeks has been largely left alone.

What pictures? :confused:

Camron Rust Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:44pm

Quote:

I have complained very publicly about what I considered to be over-moderation of the forum in the wake of the "Moderators" thread.

I would now like to very publicly thank the moderators for allowing a bit more balance back into the forum. I think people may still be a little leery of what they can post, but the pictures and off-topic joking over the last couple weeks has been largely left alone.

That is, IMHO, a very good thing; and I thank you guys for backing off a bit.

I'm fine with it too...as long as it doesn't return to the excesses of earlier times.

What hasn't returned is the snobbishly belittling, and demeaning attitudes. There were a couple of posts that were made along those lines but they disappeared. Not sure if the moderators deleted them or if the poster did.

Juulie Downs Fri Nov 28, 2008 01:28am

Well, to be truthful, Scrappy-doo, this board wasn't the first or fourth or even twentieth thing on my "thankful" list this year.

I'm thankful to God to be on my feet most days this fall.
... for a great job for my daughter, that she's sticking to and excelling at.
... for a great life-partner for my oldest son.
... for a full ride scholarship for my middle son.
... for my youngest son's new diagnosis, which is far, far less serious.
... for a low-interest mortgage that allows pre-payment, and isn't sub-prime!
... for my husband's job in the health care sector, the only sector not dropping right now.
... that my dear friend in Kenya survived last winter, and that the school she runs is thriving.
... for a dog that almost never barks.
... for all the hippie food available in my town.

but most of all for the love and companionship of wonderful man who has infinite patience and generosity, and thinks we belong together.

Getting off the board, and out of basketball this winter was actually really good for my perspective on life.

Although, now that you mention it, I'm very thankful that a lot of the insult and flaming is gone.

Mark Padgett Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 553738)

Please, Juulie, don't remind me. I've lived in this area over 35 years and still can't find a decent reuben sandwich. :rolleyes:

JugglingReferee Fri Nov 28, 2008 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 553789)
Please, Juulie, don't remind me. I've lived in this area over 35 years and still can't find a decent reuben sandwich. :rolleyes:

Is this a Canadian sandwich? :p

JugglingReferee Fri Nov 28, 2008 01:02pm

Amen, JD! Family > internet forums.

Scrapper1 Fri Nov 28, 2008 08:33pm

Quote:

Well, to be truthful, Scrappy-doo, this board wasn't the first or fourth or even twentieth thing on my "thankful" list this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 553802)
Amen, JD! Family > internet forums.

My post was not intended to be a list of all, or the most important, things that I am thankful for. It was simply a public "thank you" after my public complaints.

BillyMac Fri Nov 28, 2008 08:47pm

Another Voice Of Reason ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 553850)
It was simply a public "thank you" after my public complaints.

Your positive contributions to this Forum greatly outweigh your public complaints. This reminds me of someone else who used to post on the Forum.

Rita C Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 553789)

rye bread, sauerkraut, mustard and corned beef.

Not that tough to make yourself, Mark.:p

Rita

Mark Padgett Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 553857)
rye bread, sauerkraut, mustard and corned beef.

Not that tough to make yourself, Mark.:p

Rita

No - an authentic "south side of Chicago reuben" like my uncle used to make at his deli is corned beef and pastrami with swiss cheese, fresh (never frozen) sauerkraut grilled on dark rye with russian dressing. Try this with a side of fresh, home made potato salad. Nuff said.

Juulie Downs Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:53pm

Quote:

I'm thankful to God to be on my feet most days this fall.
... for a great job for my daughter, that she's sticking to and excelling at.
... for a great life-partner for my oldest son.
... for a full ride scholarship for my middle son.
... for my youngest son's new diagnosis, which is far, far less serious.
... for a low-interest mortgage that allows pre-payment, and isn't sub-prime!
... for my husband's job in the health care sector, the only sector not dropping right now.
... that my dear friend in Kenya survived last winter, and that the school she runs is thriving.
... for a dog that almost never barks.

but most of all for the love and companionship of wonderful man who has infinite patience and generosity, and thinks we belong together.

Getting off the board, and out of basketball this winter was actually really good for my perspective on life.

Although, now that you mention it, I'm very thankful that a lot of the insult and flaming is gone.

Yea, Scrappy, you're right, it's over the top. I was feeling sort of sentimental last evening, after a very, very nice thanksgiving, and just spilled. I know you didn't mean it as your top item.

On the list of board things I'm thankful for, Rita C is right up there. It's nice to see you back, Rita!

PS Padgett, have you been to Kornblatt's downtown? They have good pastrami!

Mark Padgett Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 553870)
PS Padgett, have you been to Kornblatt's downtown? They have good pastrami!

Yes, I have, Juulie. It's OK. BTW - I'm so glad to have you back. Hope to work with you again.

Rita C Sat Nov 29, 2008 01:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 553866)
fresh (never frozen) sauerkraut .

I've made sauerkraut. There is no such thing as "fresh" sauerkraut:cool::D

Homemade sauerkraut is goooodddd.

Rita