The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Leaving the court--Tech Foul?

Team A, 44....Team B, 40....2 minutes in the game..Sophomore Girls...Team A substitutes two players. I watch one head to the bench, while the other left at half court division line into the stands to retrieve something from Dad, and then down to the floor and around to the baseline, and then to the bench. Tech? Teaching moment? No call? I let it go, and nobody cared, but I don't think that is the right call....I let it go because of the quality of play and the "learning curve" nature of the game.....Did I goof?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Let it go!
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Benched

Once the players leave the confines of the court, they are considered bench personnel. So far as I know, there are no restrictions on bench personnel movement other that standing up while play is on the court. I would probably ask the coach to let her know the correct substitution procedures and to exit the court towards the bench so that there is not a "delay of game" warning posted to her team. A"T" is unwarrented as this was not a disruption to the game by bench personnel.

Just my opinion
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 11:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Once the players leave the confines of the court, they are considered bench personnel. So far as I know, there are no restrictions on bench personnel movement other that standing up while play is on the court. I would probably ask the coach to let her know the correct substitution procedures and to exit the court towards the bench so that there is not a "delay of game" warning posted to her team. A"T" is unwarrented as this was not a disruption to the game by bench personnel.

Just my opinion
How you gonna justify that one, partner?

My two bits: There's nothing to do here. Let it go, the only rule broken is that a member of the bench left the bench to get something. Yeah, it's technically a violation, but it's frankly an example of OOO to call this.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
How you gonna justify that one, partner?

My two bits: There's nothing to do here. Let it go, the only rule broken is that a member of the bench left the bench to get something. Yeah, it's technically a violation, but it's frankly an example of OOO to call this.
Thanks, that's how I felt....I feel better and at peace.....
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 12:18am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

I never let players go up into the stands unless they bring me back some popcorn. Of course, Diebler sells it to them.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 12:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Rule Of Common Sense ...

10-1-4 Team Technical: Team members shall not fail to occupy the team member's bench to which it is assigned.

Just because it's a rule, doesn't mean you have to call it in this situation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
10-1-4 Team Technical: Team members shall not fail to occupy the team member's bench to which it is assigned.

Just because it's a rule, doesn't mean you have to call it in this situation.
Well, she came right back to the bench....25 seconds delay is all....just via the stands and her father, and not straight to the bench....I think it was a "no-call," as others have said.....and I believe you're right...just because it's there, doesn't mean it has to be called...at least in this one....THANKS....
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 08:14am
Lighten up, Francis.

While I agree that in this case, a word to the coach is the most we should consider, we should also remember that 3 or 4 years ago, this exact situation was a POE for the NFHS. Team members are required to be on the bench, not in the stands. In this case, since she came back fairly quickly, I have nothing. But if a team member goes to sit with friends or something similar, this is not allowed.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
While I agree that in this case, a word to the coach is the most we should consider, we should also remember that 3 or 4 years ago, this exact situation was a POE for the NFHS. Team members are required to be on the bench, not in the stands. In this case, since she came back fairly quickly, I have nothing. But if a team member goes to sit with friends or something similar, this is not allowed.
good point...well taken.....
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow View Post
Team A, 44....Team B, 40....2 minutes in the game..Sophomore Girls...Team A substitutes two players. I watch one head to the bench, while the other left at half court division line into the stands to retrieve something from Dad, and then down to the floor and around to the baseline, and then to the bench. Tech? Teaching moment? No call? I let it go, and nobody cared, but I don't think that is the right call....I let it go because of the quality of play and the "learning curve" nature of the game.....Did I goof?
No call but good teaching moment, Dad could have just as easily brought the *insert item here* down.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

I agree with everyone else. I'm sure I would have been concentrating on the game and would not have seen a player leave, even if I saw it.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Two questions. What age level was this and what did she go to get. It might have been an inhaler or something like that. I've got this one filed under the I'm not gonna see this category.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Two questions. What age level was this and what did she go to get. It might have been an inhaler or something like that. I've got this one filed under the I'm not gonna see this category.
Sophomore Girls....I think she retrieved a warm-up jacket...could have been a health issue....And the path from the bucket to the bench was right past me...I couldn't miss her absence....No way not to notice.....but, anyway, I decided to ignore it due to the level of play, and the "learning curve," and the fact that she came right back. I think all of these posts support that view...An inhaler definitely is a no-call....Thanks
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Even though you could probably call something if you wanted to, I would never pick up the dirty end of the stick.

-Josh