The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50025-question.html)

beto11_1 Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:13pm

question

If a player is fouled and injured and can't shoot his free throws, does his sub shoot for him or can anyone of his teammates that were already on the court shoot for him? Thanks

ajs8207 Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:14pm

The substitute must shoot the free throws.

beto11_1 Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:21pm

Thanks, thats what I thought, but I saw this happen 2 times in a high school game last week and a player that was already out on the court shot both times, yep and he made all 4.

Back In The Saddle Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:37pm

What if there is no eligible sub available? ;)

Kelvin green Tue Nov 25, 2008 01:40am

As mentioned -in NFHS the sub shoots...

NBA rules have it done differently and there are a lot of guys who see the TV and try and follow NBA ( and still get it wrong) but if I recall off the top of my head...

NBA

"T"-a player in game (or player beckoned) can shoot.

Injured player cannot shoot-opposing coach chooses eligible subsititute and injured player does not return to the game. If the foul was unsportsmanlike (flagrant 2) his own coach chooses any eligible player and injured player can reenter.

BillyMac Tue Nov 25, 2008 07:53am

Five Trumps Sit ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 552937)
What if there is no eligible sub available?

What if the only eligible substitute just came out of the game for a substitute, and has not yet sat a tick. It is my understanding that this is an exception to the rule "must sit a tick", which in this case is trumped by "must play with five players".

mick Tue Nov 25, 2008 08:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 552986)
What if the only eligible substitute just came out of the game for a substitute, and has not yet sat a tick. It is my understanding that this is an exception to the rule "must sit a tick", which in this case is trumped by "must play with five players".

We used 3-3-4 the other night.

A1 was replaced by A5. B55 entered for B4
A1 sat and A5 was on the floor. B4 sat and B55 was on the floor.
Technical of jersey number [B55 shown as B50] was called on Team B.
Coach A wanted A1 to shoot, but we made him choose another player.

Scooby Tue Nov 25, 2008 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 552986)

Must play with five??? I have never heard of that. You can play with less than five.

mick Tue Nov 25, 2008 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 552999)
Must play with five??? I have never heard of that. You can play with less than five.

If you have 'em available, you gotta play 'em, ... even if the opponent only has 3 available. 3-1-1

Scrapper1 Tue Nov 25, 2008 08:59am

Quote:

Not if you have 5 team members who are eligible to play. If you have 5, then 5 must play. Case 3.1.1.

Back In The Saddle Tue Nov 25, 2008 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 553001)
If you have 'em available, you gotta play 'em, ... even if the opponent only has 3 available. 3-1-1

I've found that a 2-3 or even a 1-1-3 works better than the 3-1-1 when your opponent has only 3 players.

{insert stupid cheese-eating grin here}

refnrev Tue Nov 25, 2008 09:56am

Quote:

Thisis where alot of people go back to a memorable scene in the movie Hoosiers rather than the rule book. Got 5 -- 5 gotta play.

jritchie Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:32am

What if the coach says they are injured, of course he is lying, but if he says they are unavailable due to injury or sickness, we can't make them come in!

mick Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 553036)
What if the coach says they are injured, of course he is lying, but if he says they are unavailable due to injury or sickness, we can't make them come in!

I'd be willing to work a 3-whistle game with 6 players playing, ...

...and a partridge in a pear tree.

jdmara Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 553036)

Never would I "make" a supposedly injured player play. Too much liability involved with that decision.

-Josh