The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 12:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Don't Even Play An Accountant On Television ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
But, dividends are taxed at the same rate as earned income, I think.
Are your referring to federal, state, county, or city, or borough taxes?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 23, 2008 at 01:15pm.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 01:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Speaking Federally

Dividends are currently taxed at lower rates than "regular" income. Dividends are currently taxed at 15% (5% for those in the lowest two tax brackets).

These rates are set to expire (and thus increase to a more complex and higher system) mid-season this year (12-31-08) unless an extension was passed that I'm not aware of.

edited to add: the changes to this have been complicated, I believe for 2008 the rate may be 0% for those in the bottom two tax brackets.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Nov 23, 2008 at 01:15pm.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Dividends are currently taxed at lower rates than "regular" income. Dividends are currently taxed at 15% (5% for those in the lowest two tax brackets).

These rates are set to expire (and thus increase to a more complex and higher system) mid-season this year (12-31-08) unless an extension was passed that I'm not aware of.
We all know the cuts wont be extended....because its the "fair" thing to do, economy be damned.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 01:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Big Brother, And BillyMac, Are Watching ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Dividends are currently taxed at lower rates than "regular" income. Dividends are currently taxed at 15% (5% for those in the lowest two tax brackets). These rates are set to expire (and thus increase to a more complex and higher system) mid-season this year (12-31-08) unless an extension was passed that I'm not aware of.
If someone were cruising the internet and came across this portion of this thread, they would think that we were a bunch of accountants discussing tax laws. Can't you guys take this over to the CPA Forum?

I just took a quick look at some of the other Forums for the first time. Very interesting. I now know what the testing Forum is all about. I used to think that it was about various exams for officials. It's not. I found JugglingReferee practicing how to line out my quotes; Stat-Man practicing his keyboarding skills; and JugglingReferee, and w_sohl, learning how to add signatures. Over on the Feedback Forum I found Back In The Saddle asking if he could keep my quotes off his monitor by adding me to his ignore list. Wow. There sure is a lot of information out there on the internet. However, there is no Water Polo Forum. The ASPCA, PETA, and the Humane Society must have lobbied to keep it off.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 01:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
We all know the cuts wont be extended....because its the "fair" thing to do, economy be damned.
Yes we can.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
But, dividends are taxed at the same rate as earned income, I think.
Aside from the current advantage of a lower tax rate, the other advantage is that you won't owe self employment taxes on that portion of the income.

That's where the big savings come in.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
San Diego is usually a great city...

Oh man. I remember when this email started going around in the association. Some people shrugged it off, some ran out and bought their licence. I haven't done anything yet.

What really sucks is that each city requires you to have a licence and each city has their own fee for a licence. We work all over San Diego county which I believe has 12 cities in it, if not more. 12 times whatever the fee is equals a lot of money.

I am not buying one. I think it's ridiculous to not enforce this law for years, and then just becuase times are tight start to enforce it.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 07:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Oh Wait, That's Hawaii, Nevermind ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
I am not buying one. I think it's ridiculous to not enforce this law for years, and then just becuase times are tight start to enforce it.
"Book him, Dano!"

Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 08:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Talk about a great way to decimate the officiating ranks.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
With an S-Corp you have to pay yourself a salary, and the taxes on that is no different than the taxes for a sole proprietorship (I mean, they're different, but they add up to the same amount in bottom line terms to you).

However, with an S-Corp you don't have to take your entire income as salary, and any income taken at the end of the year beyond that salary is treated as a dividend and taxed as such. That's where the savings come in.

In my opinion, to take advantage of the S-Corp (which includes additional fees and is a more complicated filing process) you have to have a decent amount of income. But it definitely pays to consult your accountant.
Agreed.....I take about 60 as a salary and the other 40 as a dividend.....works out ok, I hope
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow View Post
Agreed.....I take about 60 as a salary and the other 40 as a dividend.....works out ok, I hope
I operate my own business in my "regular" profession as well, so the S-Corp is the best way for me to go...I can't imagine it would be worth it for me to do it only for my officiating income.

Now, if I were officiating multiple sports all year round, high school, youth leagues, adult leagues, etc., or was heavy into college officiating where the income became substantial, then I could see it.

But, for the $2-3,000 minus expenses I currently make from officiating, it alone wouldn't be worth the extra bookkeeping hassles and fees.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 10:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
I operate my own business in my "regular" profession as well, so the S-Corp is the best way for me to go...
Me too.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 10:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Unless You Meant 60% and 40% ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow View Post
Just basketball? $100,00.00? You must work some schedule.

Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Just basketball? $100,00.00? You must work some schedule.
He was talking in Yen.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 06:53am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

As you know, hockey in King in Canada, and Toronto is a huge market. I've heard of some leagues that play until 2am - because ice time is so sought after. I had a tax friend tell me that Revenue Canada is having a trial program this winter where they're tracking how much money people make officiating hockey in the GTA. While I've never cared to see anything official on the topic, and it'd be silly for my friend to lie about it, it is scary ground for the rest of us here in Canada. Maybe I should pay attention to this topic.