The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

My Technical Foul Odyssey

So I have had some comments that I give too many technical fouls. I don't want to become the T man but I kinda feel like I'm taking care of business, and so it goes.
I'll just be bouncing off all my T's this season off of you guys/gals and see where the discussion takes me.

Last night 8th grade game. Packed gym, a city league rivalry, close fun game to officiate. Kid unhappy about about not getting a call. As we turn up the court he says to me "When are you gonna give me a friggin call."

So I tweet and give a call while my making the T sign ...

Was my T reasonable ?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
So I have had some comments that I give too many technical fouls. I don't want to become the T man but I kinda feel like I'm taking care of business, and so it goes.
I'll just be bouncing off all my T's this season off of you guys/gals and see where the discussion takes me.

Last night 8th grade game. Packed gym, a city league rivalry, close fun game to officiate. Kid unhappy about about not getting a call. As we turn up the court he says to me "When are you gonna give me a friggin call."

So I tweet and give a call while my making the T sign ...

Was my T reasonable ?
Did he really say friggin or are you paraphrasing?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Who is telling you you're giving too many Ts?

And, yes, that would be a T in my game.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:47am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
8th grade!! It doesn't matter if he paraphrased or not, MS kids don't have the luxury of communicating with officials in that manner. "When are you gonna give me a call"?
The OP made the perfect call for that situation. Packed gym, youngster misses the shot & wants to get bailed out but doesn't. So he tries to front on the official... T
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
8th grade!! It doesn't matter if he paraphrased or not, MS kids don't have the luxury of communicating with officials in that manner. "When are you gonna give me a call"?
The OP made the perfect call for that situation. Packed gym, youngster misses the shot & wants to get bailed out but doesn't. So he tries to front on the official... T
Totally agree, I was just asking.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
If he paraphrased, I'd probably be looking at a flagrant at this level.

If he quoted, then "just a T" is perfect.

Good call, partner.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:28pm
Ch1town

My badd, didn't mean it like that CoachP.

Guess I'm still caught up in a similar situation on the football side. It's funny how a little word could be a big difference as far as meaning to each individual.

Casebook help
See #9
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
He really said "friggen ".....thats why I'm bouncing it here. If he had not paraphrased it would have been a no brainer.....
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Who is telling you you're giving too many Ts?

And, yes, that would be a T in my game.
In general i would say about 50% of the people I know from officiating. My assignor is cool with it, in fact he was known as a T man when he was an active ref.....SO as far as he is concerned we,as an association don't give enough...
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
"When are you gonna give me a friggin call."
My response: "Right now." and proceed just as you did.

Mregor
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Hey, even for a newbie, that's at least one "T" and depending on if there were any other problems with that kid, he might be in the showers... I've even got the second in my holster just in case he even looks at me funny after I ring him up.

Any problems with the coach in the game? I have found that many times the players conduct reflects the coach's- but not always to all you coaches out there! (Many times the kids know when the coach is an a.s.s.)

Z
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
Any problems with the coach in the game? I have found that many times the players conduct reflects the coach's- but not always to all you coaches out there! (Many times the kids know when the coach is an a.s.s.)

Z
Nope not a one. Coach is a very well mannered young man,about 22 yo, who asked legimate questions in a professional manner. Actually enjoyed my interactions with him.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The coaching influence on players' attitudes isn't as pronounced at the lower levels, as they have less time with the kids.

A coaches negative behavior will almost always come out in the kids as well, but their positive behavior takes longer to affect the kids.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The coaching influence on players' attitudes isn't as pronounced at the lower levels, as they have less time with the kids.

A coaches negative behavior will almost always come out in the kids as well, but their positive behavior takes longer to affect the kids.
Strongly agree with this....