The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I need some game talk!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49834-i-need-some-game-talk.html)

jsblanton Wed Nov 12, 2008 07:07pm

I need some game talk!!!

I sure am ready for everyone to do some games and post some good stories. (funny and informative) My first of the season is Friday. My shirts and pants are pressed and have been ready to go for two weeks now. I just shined my shoes for the third time in the past two weeks. But I'm not anxious.:D

tjones1 Wed Nov 12, 2008 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsblanton (Post 550169)
I just shined my shoes for the third time in the past two weeks. But I'm not anxious.:D

Third time? Wow.

I know a guy last year that was so ready to get on the floor. He cleaned his gear bag out and cleaned everything up. The only problem was when we were at the game he found a problem. He forgot to put his whistles back in his bag. Lucky, he was working with me and I have a few spares. :)

refnrev Wed Nov 12, 2008 07:38pm

OK Tanner,
Knowing and loving you as we all do.... just exactly what constitutes a few whistles?

A. 1-4 And we all know that one's not it, right M&M!
B. 5-10
C. 11-24
D. They're cheaper by the case anyway.

tjones1 Wed Nov 12, 2008 08:53pm

I've been advised by my lawyer not to answer this question and to protect the innocent. :D

Oh, alright.... it's C. But in fairness, it's less than 20.

Scrapper1 Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:00am

For me, I have 6 in my bag (4 black, 1 blue, 1 pink) and one in a pocket of each jacket. The only reason I know this for sure is that I just took them all out to wash them before the season gets going.

tjones1 Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:28am

Hmm, I forgot about the pink and blue whistle. ;)

I think I've got about 15 black, 1 pink, and 1 blue. But I haven't counted...and I'm afraid to. :p

Back In The Saddle Thu Nov 13, 2008 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 550270)
For me, I have 6 in my bag (4 black, 1 blue, 1 pink) and one in a pocket of each jacket. The only reason I know this for sure is that I just took them all out to wash them before the season gets going.

I'm very paranoid about forgetting my whistles. I keep an emergency whistle and smitty in the car. But I hadn't considered one in my jacket pocket. I'll do that.

Not counting the emergency whistle in the car, I have 3 black with pipe tips, a black pearl (for multi-court facilities), one white and one pink. Where does the blue get used?

I keep my whistles in a plastic bowl with a lid, to keep them clean and uncrushed. But I've noticed the last couple of years that the metal clips on my smittys rust. I finally figured that had to be from putting whistles back in the bowl still wet after use. So the next time I buy something with one of those silica gel packets, I'm going to put it in my whistle bowl.

M&M Guy Thu Nov 13, 2008 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 550361)
Where does the blue get used?

I believe it's the "male" version of the pink one, for cancer awareness. Use the pink whistle during women's/girls' games, and the blue during men's/boys' games that particular week.

mbyron Thu Nov 13, 2008 03:46pm

Quote:

So the next time I buy something with one of those silica gel packets, I'm going to put it in my whistle bowl.

Good idea. But DO NOT EAT it. I learned that lesson the first time... ;)

SmokeEater Thu Nov 13, 2008 03:56pm

Quote:

I keep my whistles in a plastic bowl with a lid, to keep them clean and uncrushed. But I've noticed the last couple of years that the metal clips on my smittys rust. I finally figured that had to be from putting whistles back in the bowl still wet after use. So the next time I buy something with one of those silica gel packets, I'm going to put it in my whistle bowl.

That is a good idea. I bought a mouth guard container with a small carabiner. Wish I could remember the name brand. It clips on a gromet inside my bag and is out of the way protected. It has holes in it as well to allow the whistles to dry between use.

Edit: Its a Shock Doctor case.

BillyMac Thu Nov 13, 2008 06:58pm

I Want To Play Too ...

In my bag I have five, black, mini Fox 40s, one pink Fox 40, one blue Fox 40, and four Acmes with peas. Our local board requires us to carry an extra whistle in our pocket to help keep track of the possession arrow, which is what I use my old Acmes for. That's eleven in my bag.

I also have a black, mini fox 40, on a lanyard, and a loose Acme hanging in my closet for when I do a Catholic middle school game, and go to the site in uniform. In storage at home I have nine, old Acmes with peas.

I have twenty-two whistles? I don't remember buying all of them. I only remember tossing a few whistles in the trash over the past twenty-seven years. I hope someone posts with more than twenty-two. I don't want to be known as the Forum whistle guy. I guess that you can never have too many whistles. Do they procreate, and multiply, like rabbits over the summer?

BillyMac Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:55pm

From The Forum Whistle Guy, I Guess ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 550450)
I have twenty-two whistles? I hope someone posts with more than twenty-two. I don't want to be known as the Forum whistle guy. I guess that you can never have too many whistles. Do they procreate, and multiply, like rabbits over the summer?

No new posts since November 13, 2008. Did I win? Or, maybe I lost. I thought for sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. would have more whistles than me. I'm sure that he has some that are made of stone, or wood. That's how they used to make whistles, back then, in the olden days.

tjones1 Sun Nov 16, 2008 04:29pm

Alright, I officially counted... I have 27.

3 CMGs - black, 24 classics (22 black, 1 pink, 1 blue).

The ones that are chewed up I attach them to an inside zipper. 1 CMG is retired as it's the whistle I used in my first game. Man, I chewed the crap outta that thing!

BillyMac Sun Nov 16, 2008 09:40pm

Did I Win, Or, Did I Lose ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 551022)
I officially counted. I have 27.

Thank God. Now you're officially the Forum "whistle guy". And it wasn't even close. You must be some weird guy to have so many whistles. Do you collect old National Geographic magazines too?

eyezen Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 550450)
Our local board requires us to carry an extra whistle in our pocket to help keep track of the possession arrow, which is what I use my old Acmes for.

You're kidding, right???

I mean, no matter your personal philosophy on the subject, for an association to REQUIRE such a thing is a little OAOA don't you think?