The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Micromesh v Polyester (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49818-micromesh-v-polyester.html)

budjones05 Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:35am

Micromesh v Polyester

I was wondering, what kind of shirt do you guys prefer? I personally like the Smithy's Micromesh the best, but just wondering how my fellow officials feel about them.

JS 20 Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by budjones05 (Post 549991)
I was wondering, what kind of shirt do you guys prefer? I personally like the Smithy's Micromesh the best, but just wondering how my fellow officials feel about them.

Bought 4 of these this summer. I love the shirts. They stay cool and they're very soft. I would never go back to a poly shirt. The only drawback I have w/ these shirts is they get really wrinkled when they come out of the wash. I have to be careful to not wad them up in my bag when they're wet or it takes forever to get allt he wrinkles out.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by budjones05 (Post 549991)

What material is the micromesh made out of?

jritchie Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:05am

Micromesh, definitely, poly is too hot!!

Do any of your associations allow the Black side panel shirts that are worn in the CCA level? Just wondering? We have a few guys that have them, but don't wear them if everyone don't have one, wouldn't want someone to look different out their.. :)

tjones1 Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 550007)
Do any of your associations allow the Black side panel shirts that are worn in the CCA level? Just wondering?

No. :mad:

I wore these for a scrimmage game and they were a lot cooler. I normally wear the Official's Choice micro-soft shirt which is cool, but not as cool as the panels.

Smitty Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 549995)
Bought 4 of these this summer. I love the shirts. They stay cool and they're very soft. I would never go back to a poly shirt. The only drawback I have w/ these shirts is they get really wrinkled when they come out of the wash. I have to be careful to not wad them up in my bag when they're wet or it takes forever to get allt he wrinkles out.

I have these shirts as well. I usually wash them at night and let the air dry on a hanger overnight. I've never had any wrinkles in the shirts.

fullor30 Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:58am

If pants or shirts are wrinkled, through in dryer with a static cling sheet for about 10 minutes on high heat and presto...........all gone.

Here's Heloise

Mark Padgett Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 550004)
What material is the micromesh made out of?

65% micro, 35% mesh.

JRutledge Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:48pm

I love the micro mesh shirts the best. They are really cool, allow your skin to breathe through the shirts and they are not as scratchy on your skin as well. I started wearing these shirts a couple of years ago and I do not wear anything else for the most part. The only downfall is these shirts cannot be worn multiple times after you have sweated them out. That is a minor thing anyway.

Peace

zm1283 Wed Nov 12, 2008 01:27pm

I have the Official's Choice mesh with the black college side panel. Quite a few guys in our association have that kind. Our association doesn't mind if you wear it or the older style.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 12, 2008 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 550026)
If pants or shirts are wrinkled, through in dryer with a static cling sheet for about 10 minutes on high heat and presto...........all gone.

Here's Heloise

BAD ADVICE for any wicking type shirt. They dryer sheets destroy the wicking behavior of the shirt.

Raymond Wed Nov 12, 2008 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 550078)
BAD ADVICE for any wicking type shirt. They dryer sheets destroy the wicking behavior of the shirt.

Wicking :confused::confused::confused:

mbyron Wed Nov 12, 2008 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 550030)
65% micro, 35% mesh.

Actually, these shirts are a bit of a ripoff, since the material is 50% holes! :eek:

Mark Padgett Wed Nov 12, 2008 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 550095)
Wicking :confused::confused::confused:

Camron is correct, as always. ;) Wicking is the ability of the fabric to "pull" sweat off your body, keeping you cool. Dryer sheets leave a coating on the fabric that eliminates this ability. That's due to their anti-static properties. In a former life, I sold major appliances and we always advised buyers of dryers (hey, that rhymes!) not to use dryer sheets with underwear, towels or sweat clothes. The same would be true today for ref shirts of micro mesh, I guess.

Raymond Wed Nov 12, 2008 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 550122)
Camron is correct, as always. ;) Wicking is the ability of the fabric to "pull" sweat off your body, keeping you cool. Dryer sheets leave a coating on the fabric that eliminates this ability. That's due to their anti-static properties. In a former life, I sold major appliances and we always advised buyers of dryers (hey, that rhymes!) not to use dryer sheets with underwear, towels or sweat clothes. The same would be true today for ref shirts of micro mesh, I guess.

Wow, I actually learned something!!! :eek: