The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Players & Uniforms

At my association meeting tonight, we took a 50 quiz exam. Two of the questions had the group split in their answer. Here are the questions:

1. If a player's shirt is not properly tucked inside the pants, the official shall direct him or her to leave the game unless the team subsequently is granted a time-out.

2. If a player is directed to leave the game for a violation of the uniform rule, the coach may call a time - out to keep the player in the game.

I answered false to both of them, based on Rule 3-3. But other officials argued that it would be true and should be treated like a bleeding/injured player, where a player can stay in the game if the coach calls a timeout.

Article 4 A player who has been replaced or directed to leave th game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement.

Article 5 A player not wearing the pants/skirt properly an above the hips and/or a player not tucking in a team jersey designe to be worn inside the pants/skirt, shall be directed to leave the game.

So, would a team be able to call a timeout to keep a player in the game that is not wearing the uniform properly?
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw View Post
At my association meeting tonight, we took a 50 quiz exam. Two of the questions had the group split in their answer. Here are the questions:

1. If a player's shirt is not properly tucked inside the pants, the official shall direct him or her to leave the game unless the team subsequently is granted a time-out.

2. If a player is directed to leave the game for a violation of the uniform rule, the coach may call a time - out to keep the player in the game.

I answered false to both of them, based on Rule 3-3. But other officials argued that it would be true and should be treated like a bleeding/injured player, where a player can stay in the game if the coach calls a timeout.

Article 4 A player who has been replaced or directed to leave th game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement.

Article 5 A player not wearing the pants/skirt properly an above the hips and/or a player not tucking in a team jersey designe to be worn inside the pants/skirt, shall be directed to leave the game.

So, would a team be able to call a timeout to keep a player in the game that is not wearing the uniform properly?
My understanding of the rule is that a player may not be allowed to (re)enter the game if the team decides to call a timeout if he has been asked to leave. Although I cannot find any case play or ruling to back that up unfortunately. The case book directly addresses calling a timeout for an injury but not for a player asked to leave. So I believe a player cannot (re)enter after a timeout when asked to leave for a uniform infraction

-Josh

Last edited by jdmara; Tue Nov 11, 2008 at 10:25pm.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 11:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

NF rule 3.5 says that a player not wearing the pants/skirt properly...and/or a player not tucking in a team jersey...shall be directed to leave the game. Rule 3.4 says that a player who has been directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement. Rule 3.6 says (in effect) you can "buy" an injured player's way back into the game with a TO, but since that is the only "exception" specifically mentioned, you have to conclude in the other situations that a TO doesn't matter.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

kmw,
You are correct. The rule permitting a team to keep a player in the game with a time-out only applies to blood or injury situations, not to uniform violations. The comment that accompanied the introduction of that rule back in 2002-03 made that point clear. Your local group of official should remember their history!
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

I don't think this is a highjack but a question along the same lines.
I don't see a reference to this but assuming blood, must the team take a full timeout if they have a choice?
Follow up...this may not be an issue depending on the first answer. Blood on A-1 and B-1. Both coaches want to keep their player in the game. Team A only has a full left and B only has a 30 left. What is the rule. I've asked a couple people this question and received different answers so I am putting it out to the group that will set me straight or ridicule my lack of knowledge. I am prepared for both. ha ha
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Either a full or 30 is okay, but the player must be ready to continue by the end of the time-out.
A1 must be ready by the end of Team A's TO and B1 must be ready by the end of Team B's TO. I recall an NFHS ruling that the TOs run concurrently in such a situation.