The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   pre-game rituals (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49759-pre-game-rituals.html)

OHBBREF Fri Nov 07, 2008 04:47pm

pre-game rituals

My season starts tomorrow UC Clermont and I will have a new pre-game ritual to start with this year as far as exercising and stretching, and tonight I will put some music together to for the warm-up and the drive.

So I thought I would throw this out for general consumption What are your Game day or pre-game rituals / superstitions?
The things that you do all the time - From the way you pack your bag - the order of dress - warm up - review- the music you listen to, the pre-game prayer - etc.
Even those silly things - like one official who always puts his lucky penny in his sock, (he hasn't had to give a "T" since he started this)... [his partners have] :p

Any way what are the things you do before a game to prepare - or that make you feel comfortable with what you are about to do.

Bad Zebra Fri Nov 07, 2008 04:52pm

I can see this one spiraling out of control quickly. Me...I always like to do a couple quick Jose Cuervo shooters before I hit the road to put me in the right frame of mind for that middle school girls game. Once I'm there, I always like to do a quick MILF scan right after assuming my position on the court (again...middle school preferred here as the MILFs tend to be younger).

Y2Koach Fri Nov 07, 2008 05:42pm

Make sure you ask for 2 forms of ID when accepting a check for the bribe from the other teams coach to make sure that you receive all the money you are due before screwing my team by having an inbalanced foul count with all those horrible calls against my team.

Call it both ways.

Mark Padgett Fri Nov 07, 2008 05:51pm

Take your meds. Nuff said. :p

Oh yeah, I always watch a video of the Ritz Brothers and the Andrews Sisters singing the Brooklynonga on youtube. I especially like the fact that the guy in the beginning of the video who cracks the whip is actually George Reeve, who later played Superman on TV. This video really gets me in the mood for reffing.

Plus - don't ever take a check from a coach for foul insurance - cash, credit or debit cards only!

BillyMac Fri Nov 07, 2008 08:12pm

Heads I Win, Tails You Lose ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 549148)
One official always puts his lucky penny in his sock.

That's me, getting ready for that glorious day when the NFHS finally decides to do away with the jump ball, and we start the game with a coin flip, like they do in soccer, and football.

BillyMac Fri Nov 07, 2008 08:17pm

You're Weird ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 549160)
I always watch a video of the Ritz Brothers and the Andrews Sisters singing the Brooklynonga on youtube. I especially like the fact that the guy in the beginning of the video who cracks the whip is actually George Reeve, who later played Superman on TV. This video really gets me in the mood for reffing.

YouTube - Andrews Sisters & The Ritz Brothers - The Brooklynonga

bob jenkins Fri Nov 07, 2008 08:40pm

I usually just read through old threads. Here's one from just two weeks ago:

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tuals-etc.html

Juulie Downs Fri Nov 07, 2008 08:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 549149)
I can see this one spiraling out of control quickly. Me...I always like to do a couple quick Jose Cuervo shooters before I hit the road to put me in the right frame of mind for that middle school girls game. Once I'm there, I always like to do a quick MILF scan right after assuming my position on the court (again...middle school preferred here as the MILFs tend to be younger).

Yup that's pretty inappropriate. Bout the only thing you left out was inflammatory vocabulary. When you tell your assignor about all this, do you include those, uh, 7 deadly words?

Adam Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 549183)
That's me, getting ready for that glorious day when the NFHS finally decides to do away with the jump ball, and we start the game with a coin flip, like they do in soccer, and football.

Nice to see I'm not the only one with a Quixotic quest revolving around the arrow.

Back In The Saddle Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:44pm

Quote:

Call me old fashioned, but I hope they never do get rid of it.

Bad Zebra Sat Nov 08, 2008 04:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 549194)
Yup that's pretty inappropriate. Bout the only thing you left out was inflammatory vocabulary. When you tell your assignor about all this, do you include those, uh, 7 deadly words?

No need. We work together quite a bit. She usually buys the Cuervo...:p

cdaref Tue Nov 11, 2008 05:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 549148)
like one official who always puts his lucky penny in his sock, (he hasn't had to give a "T" since he started this)....

I'd call that an UNLUCKY penny ;)

Good question though (dont mind the board's seeming inability to remain on topic and not descend into inside jokes and personal references, its not you). I dont really have a ritual. I never thought about that till you asked. As a player I always had one. But not as a ref. Wierd. Maybe I'll create one this season. I like the focus of things like that. A bit crazy, I know. Maybe my pregame should be my lucky ritual. I'd love to do a good one before every game.

Ref_in_Alberta Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:23am

My pre-game ritual is pretty simple...

1 - get to the game site a minimum of 20 minutes before the scheduled of game 1 (in our area, our HS ball is generally a V/JV doubleheader) start for HS ball. 60 minutes before the scheduled start of JUCO games.

2 - Review the Points of Emphasis.

3 - Choose 1 or 2 things to work on in the game from my notes of previous evaluations.

Cheers!

JBleach85 Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:58am

My ritual just consist of the following:

Arrive at least 40 minutes early if it is a 4 o clock game.

An hour early for a game in the evening.

On my way there just listen to some music mostly some hip hop and r&b

Even before I leave for my game I always double check and make sure I have everything in my bad.

When I get to my game site. start stretching listen to some music on my until my partner gets there and do a pre-game.

When i am out on the floor, it depends if I am the referee or an umpire. If I am the referee before I toss the ball I step over at mid-court and opposite of the table and just look into the sky and thank the people who have helped me get to where I am.

If I am the umpire I normally will do it when the R goes over and check the book.

doubleringer Wed Nov 12, 2008 03:27pm

Quote:

Not a good idea. We just got rid of the coin flip on the girls' side here in Iowa not long ago. We were all glad to see it go.