The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   True or not?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49736-true-not.html)

MidMadness Thu Nov 06, 2008 01:23pm

True or not??

If a player is standing at midcourt with 1 foot in the front court and 1 foot in the back court w/o the ball...He has front court status?? So if that is true if he receives a pass from the back court..This is backcourt violation??? Thanks in advance

Zoochy Thu Nov 06, 2008 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidMadness (Post 548874)
If a player is standing at midcourt with 1 foot in the front court and 1 foot in the back court w/o the ball...He has front court status?? So if that is true if he receives a pass from the back court..This is backcourt violation??? Thanks in advance

If Player has i foot in Front Court and 1 foot in Back Court, then that player has Back Court status!

Indianaref Thu Nov 06, 2008 01:35pm

SECTION 35 PLAYER LOCATION
ART. 2 . . . When a player is touching the backcourt, out of bounds or the three-point line, the player is located in backcourt, out of bounds,or inside the three-point line, respectively.

David M Thu Nov 06, 2008 01:52pm

If after catching the ball he lifts up the foot that was in the backcourt he then has frontcourt status. It would be a backcourt violation if he puts that foot back down in the backcourt.

bob jenkins Thu Nov 06, 2008 02:08pm

Quote:

Even if your assumption on the player's status were true, it still would not be a violation -- otherwise you could never pass the ball from the back court to the front court.

OHBBREF Thu Nov 06, 2008 02:21pm

Quote:

If he catches the ball and lifts the foot in the front court and then
starts his dribble did he travel?

I think you need more information - if he had two feet in the back court - and stepped with one foot into the front court he has never relinquished back court status, the opposite would be true.

So I do not think you can determine status until the player clearly establishes a status one way or the other.

Nevadaref Thu Nov 06, 2008 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 548888)

I think you need more information - if he had two feet in the back court - and stepped with one foot into the front court he has never relinquished back court status, the opposite would be true.

So I do not think you can determine status until the player clearly establishes a status one way or the other.

Not true. It is always possible to definitely determine the fc/bc status of a player at any point in the game, whether the ball is involved or not.

OHBBREF Thu Nov 06, 2008 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 548889)
Not true. It is always possible to definitely determine the fc/bc status of a player at any point in the game, whether the ball is involved or not.

Okay from the information provided in the OP tell me the court position of the player?

Try this: A1 inbounds the ball to begin the period, after making the inbound pass A1 jumps from out of bounds and lands simultaniously on both feet with one in the back court and one in the front court, which position does A1 have front or back court? :confused:

M&M Guy Thu Nov 06, 2008 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 548891)
Okay from the information provided in the OP tell me the court position of the player?

Easy - backcourt, as per 4-35-2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 548891)
Try this: A1 inbounds the ball to begin the period, after making the inbound pass A1 jumps from out of bounds and lands simultaniously on both feet with one in the back court and one in the front court, which position does A1 have front or back court? :confused:

Easy - see above.

Nevadaref Thu Nov 06, 2008 02:48pm

I concur with M&M.

M&M Guy Thu Nov 06, 2008 02:51pm

That's because I listen to Bob. ;)

OHBBREF Thu Nov 06, 2008 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 548892)
Easy - backcourt, as per 4-35-2.

Okay works for me!

Adam Thu Nov 06, 2008 05:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 548888)

????? How could this possibly be a travel? And what does his bc/fc status have to do with whether it's a travel?

Back In The Saddle Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 548945)
????? How could this possibly be a travel? And what does his bc/fc status have to do with whether it's a travel?

I'm guessing he was experiencing a little bit of unclearness of thought about which foot would be the pivot connected to the confusion about whether he was bc or fc. Of course whichever foot he lifts first, the other is the pivot.