The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   trend on the screening switch? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49711-trend-screening-switch.html)

OHBBREF Tue Nov 04, 2008 05:09pm

trend on the screening switch?

I have noticed this more in the last year, especially in the scrimmages I have done thus far and in the W/NBA games I've seen thus far.

A1 is dribbling table side moving opposite top of key, A3 comes out to set a solid legal screen on B1, B3 moves out to jump the dribbler as is the new tendancy, but as A3 cuts away down the lane B1 or B3 uses the body or in some cases the arms to impeed A1's movement toward the goal.

this is rarely being called even in obvious hold ing situations, is there something I'm missing, or am I as the coach said Saturday "the only one who makes that call" ?

btaylor64 Tue Nov 04, 2008 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 548544)
I have noticed this more in the last year, especially in the scrimmages I have done thus far and in the W/NBA games I've seen thus far.

A1 is dribbling table side moving opposite top of key, A3 comes out to set a solid legal screen on B1, B3 moves out to jump the dribbler as is the new tendancy, but as A3 cuts away down the lane B1 or B3 uses the body or in some cases the arms to impeed A1's movement toward the goal.

this is rarely being called even in obvious hold ing situations, is there something I'm missing, or am I as the coach said Saturday "the only one who makes that call" ?

You are exactly right this is a growing trend, but i would think of it more in terms of "is that screen legal". This is a two referee play as i have stated previous posts and there are some out there that disagree with me and say they can referee this heavy action area on their own at the speed college and pro players play. I don't believe it so much but so be it. moving on:

Alot of coaches run this play to get the "big,little" mismatch and that is understandable but the screener is not allowed to pin the defender. If the on ball defender is making a legitimate attempt at getting back to the dribbler and is pinned on the roll down by the screener, that is an offensive foul. On that same note, if the screener slips the screen early and the on ball defender and/or the player defending the screener grabs, holds, impedes, etc. his move to the basket this is also a foul.

Now if we have, what i call a clean pick and roll aka PnR, which means the on ball defender just "goes with" the screener and the other defender picks up the dribbler this is all legal play.

The other thing that i can think of for now is when the player defending the screener hedges out and hip checks the dribbler off his path. If he does not beat the player to the spot and reroutes him in any way, this is a foul. I think this is the most missed foul in regards to PnR plays.

The PnR has become more prevalent in the college game. It has finally filtered down from the NBA and they are hard plays to ref especially when you try to do it on your own!!