The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA-W Shot clock ?'s (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49680-ncaa-w-shot-clock-s.html)

JS 20 Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:07pm

NCAA-W Shot clock ?'s

NCAA-W

Two questions:

1) If there's a violation, can either the T or the C call it?

2) Shot comes out of L's primary, doesn't draw iron and the SC runs out, who's call?

Thanks

Scrapper1 Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 548114)
NCAA-W

Two questions:

Depends on the violation. If there's an out of bounds call on the T's sideline, I don't think we want the C blowing the whistle. But if it's a travel at the border of their areas of responsibility, either one could grab it.

Quote:

2) Shot comes out of L's primary, doesn't draw iron and the SC runs out, who's call?
Not 100% sure, but probably the C. It might be a dual responsibility between C and T.

JS 20 Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 548117)
Depends on the violation. If there's an out of bounds call on the T's sideline, I don't think we want the C blowing the whistle. But if it's a travel at the border of their areas of responsibility, either one could grab it.

Not 100% sure, but probably the C. It might be a dual responsibility between C and T.

On question one, see the title of the thread, I'm talking shot clock violation.

Nevadaref Mon Nov 03, 2008 04:11am

I do not currently have a copy of the NCAA-W mechanics manual, but I have been taught that for both NCAA-M and NCAA-W shot clock violations are the responsibility of all three officials and any one of them can make that call.

In fact, if that violation does occur, one of them had better make it! ;)

Adam Mon Nov 03, 2008 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 548120)

It's easier if you put these qualifiers in the question; less chance for someone to misread you.

Scrapper1 Mon Nov 03, 2008 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 548120)

My bad. Sorry. I don't know women's mechanics, but I would assume that either one could call it.

IREFU2 Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 548114)
NCAA-W

Two questions:

Thanks

This is a tricky situation, but ultimately the T and the C should have the call on the violation, whereas the L probably cant see the clock.

rockyroad Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:34am

Either the T or the C can call the SC violation in NCAA-W mechanics. The goal is to have the official covering the shot attempt have the first crack at the whistle - so if the shot comes from C's primary, C should have first crack at the whistle - but quite often the covering official is staying with the shooter or has something else going on, so the off official has the responsibility for grabbing the violation. If shot comes from L's primary, either T or C can make the call - usually the T gets it.

Bottom line is that the crew needs to get those calls, and if someone is getting all worked up because "You stole my SC violation call", then that person needs some more fiber in their diet.

IREFU2 Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:46am

Agreed!!!

Back In The Saddle Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 548188)
Bottom line is that the crew needs to get those calls, and if someone is getting all worked up because "You stole my SC violation call", then that person needs some more fiber in their diet.

Classic. I'm adding "fiber content" to my pre-game :D