The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   study guide question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49661-study-guide-question.html)

just another ref Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:12am

study guide question

About 10 of us had a study session the other night. For the following question, I had one answer, and everybody else that voiced an opinion had the other. Not gonna say which was which just yet, but I just want to put the question out there for others just to make sure I have not lost my ability to read and comprehend the English language.

During a jump ball, A-l taps the ball to A-2 who has jumped from team A's frontcourt. A-2 catches the ball and while still in the air, passes to A-3 in the backcourt. RULING: Legal play.

Nevadaref Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 547879)
About 10 of us had a study session the other night. For the following question, I had one answer, and everybody else that voiced an opinion had the other. Not gonna say which was which just yet, but I just want to put the question out there for others just to make sure I have not lost my ability to read and comprehend the English language.

During a jump ball, A-l taps the ball to A-2 who has jumped from team A's frontcourt. A-2 catches the ball and while still in the air, passes to A-3 in the backcourt. RULING: Legal play.

Nope. That's a backcourt violation. The exception for an airborne player during a jumpball, throw-in, or on a defensive steal applies ONLY to that player. He must be the one who lands in the backcourt with the ball. If he passes it to a backcourt teammate prior to landing, as in your listed play, then that's a violation.

Back In The Saddle Sat Nov 01, 2008 01:10am

Was on the Part I test a couple years ago. Violation.

Nevadaref Sat Nov 01, 2008 01:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 547882)
Was on the Part I test a couple years ago. Violation.

Good memory. :)

In fact, it was question #100 on LAST YEAR'S part 1 exam. ;)

It is also play 3b on BktBallRef's famous backcourt quiz! :D

just another ref Sat Nov 01, 2008 01:49am

Okay, the cat's out of the bag. I didn't expect a big debate on this situation here. I typed up the following to give to a couple of the ones in our group that can read. Will this help or can anybody suggest an adjustment?

False

4-35-3: The location of an airborne player…..is the same as the time such
player was last in contact with the floor.

4-12-1: A player is in control of the ball when he is holding…..a live ball inbounds.

4-12-2: A team is in control of the ball when a player of the team is in control.

When A-2 catches the tapped after jumping from the frontcourt, team A now has control in the frontcourt.

9-9-3: A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt.

So, when A-2 catches the ball, during the jumpball, 9-9-3 tells us that he may land in backcourt and this is not a violation. When A-2 passes to A-3,
the jumpball has ended, so 9-9-3 no longer applies.

9-9-1: A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went into the backcourt.

When A-3 touches the ball in backcourt, this is a backcourt violation.

Nevadaref Sun Nov 02, 2008 03:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 547892)
Okay, the cat's out of the bag. I didn't expect a big debate on this situation here. I typed up the following to give to a couple of the ones in our group that can read. Will this help or can anybody suggest an adjustment?

False

4-35-3: The location of an airborne player…..is the same as the time such
player was last in contact with the floor.

4-12-1: A player is in control of the ball when he is holding…..a live ball inbounds.

4-12-2: A team is in control of the ball when a player of the team is in control.

When A-2 catches the tapped [ball] after jumping from the frontcourt, team A now has control in the frontcourt.

9-9-3: A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt.

So, when A-2 catches the ball, during the jumpball, 9-9-3 tells us that he may land in backcourt and this is not a violation. When A-2 passes to A-3, <strike>the jumpball has ended, so</strike> 9-9-3 no longer applies [because the exception allowing a change in the status of the ball to the backcourt only applies to A2 landing in the backcourt with the ball.]

9-9-1: A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went into the backcourt.

When A-3 touches the ball in backcourt, this is a backcourt violation.

The jumpball actually ends when A2 touches it because he is a nonjumper.

just another ref Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 548001)
The jumpball actually ends when A2 touches it because he is a nonjumper.

Wasn't saying it ended right then, but I had already gone back and added:

4-28-3: The jumpball ends when the touched ball contacts a nonjumper.....

BillyMac Sun Nov 02, 2008 01:41pm

I Said It Before, And I'll Say It Again ...

Because of questions like these, I'd prefer to keep the rules, and mechanics, regarding jump balls just the way they are, with just two minor changes. I would eliminate the jump that starts the game, and I would eliminate the jump ball that starts each extra period. Let's flip a coin like they do in football, and soccer. I'll bring the coin, and whoever loses the coin toss can keep the coin. That way everybody's happy.

I'll even agree to a coin flip with the NFHS Rules Committee to decide about my two minor jump ball rule changes; Heads, I win. Tails, the NFHS Rules Committee loses.

Nevadaref Mon Nov 03, 2008 04:36am

By the way this is a violation under NCAA rules as well, despite the donkeys at RM claiming otherwise. :eek: I just checked the NCAA book.