The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   64. After Goaltending, throw in? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49650-64-after-goaltending-throw.html)

jritchie Fri Oct 31, 2008 01:23pm

64. After Goaltending, throw in?

After B1 goaltends, A1 gets a throw in on baseline, They would be allowed to run the baseline or would it be a spot throw in?

We counted the basket, so they should get to run the baseline, correct?

iref4him Fri Oct 31, 2008 01:29pm

B1 Goaltends at A's basket. Count the basket. Team B's throw-in from anywhere behind the endline.

B1 goaltends at B's Basket (why..maybe he thought it was a pass). No points scored. Team A's thrown in closest to the violation. Spot throw in.

jritchie Fri Oct 31, 2008 01:39pm

So you are going to call goaltending on B1 at B's basket, when he grabs a shot that everyone may know is going in and jams it through?

Adam Fri Oct 31, 2008 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 547700)
So you are going to call goaltending on B1 at B's basket, when he grabs a shot that everyone may know is going in and jams it through?

Yes.

iref4him Fri Oct 31, 2008 01:44pm

I was being trying to be sarcastic...WHy would someone goaltend there own teammates shot. But, I have seen officials call it goaltending and then others a pass. This is a good pre-game item.

bob jenkins Fri Oct 31, 2008 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by iref4him (Post 547705)
I was being trying to be sarcastic...WHy would someone goaltend there own teammates shot. But, I have seen officials call it goaltending and then others a pass. This is a good pre-game item.

That's because goaltending can only be on a try. If you judge the "throw" from A1 to be a try, then the possibility of goaltending exists. If you judge the throw from A1 to be a pass, then there cannot be goaltending (but there still could be BI).

iref4him Fri Oct 31, 2008 01:47pm

I don't disagree with you..I have just seen called both ways. Like you said, it depends on whether you judge it to be a pass or a try.

rfp Fri Oct 31, 2008 02:50pm

Offensive goaltending?

:confused:Goaltending on an offensive player? Not only have I never ever seen that called, I'm having a hard time imagining the situation where I would call it. I think you're going to have an impossible job of making the case that you could read a player's mind to conclude this was a shot and not a pass.

Has anyone ever seen this called?

Adam Fri Oct 31, 2008 02:54pm

Yes, I have.

Wait, that ball was in the cylinder so it was BI.

rfp Fri Oct 31, 2008 03:00pm

Sure, offensive BI is not terribly uncommon. It's offensive goaltending I'm having a hard time envisioning...

rainmaker Fri Oct 31, 2008 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 547693)
We counted the basket, so they should get to run the baseline, correct?

Technically, we DON'T count the basket, do we? Isn't the ball dead when the violation is committed, and then we "award" points for the basket? And then the rule book says the in-bounding player can run the end line after a "made or awarded basket". Isn't that right?

Back In The Saddle Fri Oct 31, 2008 06:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker (Post 547795)
Technically, we DON'T count the basket, do we? Isn't the ball dead when the violation is committed, and then we "award" points for the basket? And then the rule book says the in-bounding player can run the end line after a "made or awarded basket". Isn't that right?

We have a winner!

NFHS 7-5-7: A throw-in anywhere along the end line after a goal or an awarded goal for basket interference or goaltending by a defensive player, as in 9-12 Penalty 1, the team not credited with the score shall make a throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line.

Nevadaref Sat Nov 01, 2008 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker (Post 547795)

ALERT! ALERT!

JUULIE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...s/welcome2.gif

just another ref Sat Nov 01, 2008 01:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfp (Post 547763)
Sure, offensive BI is not terribly uncommon. It's offensive goaltending I'm having a hard time envisioning...

Wasn't offensive goaltending originally one of the "Wilt Chamberlain Rules?" If I recall the story, when Chamberlain was in Kansas, his teammates felt free to throw up shots knowing that Wilt was around to guide then into the basket when needed. The rule was passed which made it illegal to touch the ball on its downward flight. Also, this was when the lane was widened, if I am not mistaken. If I am mistaken, JR will likely be resurrected and point out my mistake(s).

truerookie Sat Nov 01, 2008 03:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 547895)
If I am mistaken, JR will likely be resurrected and point out my mistake(s).

I don't expect that to happen anytime soon!