The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Resumption of play

We had a local meeting last night and the topic of resumption of play was slated to be discussed. I thought I had the proper procedure down for both throw-in and free-throw procedures but then a tricky twist came into the discussion by one of our senior officials made a comment about when the resumption of play is to be used.

We all agreed the resumption of play is to be used by definitions 4-38, 7-5-1, and 8-1-2. The sticking point is the following phrase in 4-38 as follows: "unless either team is not on the court to start the second half". The member points out 10-1-5a. It reads:

Quote:
10-1: A team shall not:

10-1-5: Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this includes the following and similar acts:

a. When the clock is not running consuming a full minute through not being
ready when it is time to start either half.
So where does that put us procedurally? So if the team is in the locker room, does that mean we wait for one minute after the horn sounds for the start of the second half and assess a technical if they fail to appear for play? From 10-1-5a, it seems like that is the procedure for the start of the halves. Just something for everyone to chew on.

-Josh
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 09:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
So where does that put us procedurally? So if the team is in the locker room, does that mean we wait for one minute after the horn sounds for the start of the second half and assess a technical if they fail to appear for play? From 10-1-5a, it seems like that is the procedure for the start of the halves. Just something for everyone to chew on.
This is exactly correct.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This is exactly correct.
It's a little misleading because the rule book doesn't point you to 10-1-5a when it mentions "unless either team is not on the court to start the second half" in 4-38. I would have never known this procedure unless my peer pointed out this exception. I'm a little surprise there is not a case play on this (or maybe I'm overlooking the case play as well).

There was another situation brought up last night but I can't find it in my notes. I'll find it a little later

-Josh
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 09:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

As long as it doesn't involve LGP and the sideline....
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
As long as it doesn't involve LGP and the sideline....
Ah, come on, Snaqs, that's been the best discussion on here in a long, long time!
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So where does that put us procedurally? So if the team is in the locker room, does that mean we wait for one minute after the horn sounds for the start of the second half and assess a technical if they fail to appear for play? From 10-1-5a, it seems like that is the procedure for the start of the halves. Just something for everyone to chew on.-Josh
You did arrange to have the teams notified when there was three minutes left in the halftime, didn't you? Good, I knew you had.

Now send game management back in to hurry their butts out onto the court. Don't just sit back and wait for them to be late.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 06:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Resumption Of Play Reminder ...

Just a reminder: A few years ago the Resumption of Play procedure, which used to only be used after time outs and intermissions, was changed so that it can also be used during any throwin.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We had a local meeting last night and the topic of resumption of play was slated to be discussed. I thought I had the proper procedure down for both throw-in and free-throw procedures but then a tricky twist came into the discussion by one of our senior officials made a comment about when the resumption of play is to be used.

We all agreed the resumption of play is to be used by definitions 4-38, 7-5-1, and 8-1-2. The sticking point is the following phrase in 4-38 as follows: "unless either team is not on the court to start the second half". The member points out 10-1-5a. It reads:

-Josh
Yep, we have talked about that many times on this forum. If you do a search, you will find a few threads. It has also been a test question on a few past NFHS rules exams.