The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Resumption of play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49643-resumption-play.html)

jdmara Fri Oct 31, 2008 09:13am

Resumption of play

We had a local meeting last night and the topic of resumption of play was slated to be discussed. I thought I had the proper procedure down for both throw-in and free-throw procedures but then a tricky twist came into the discussion by one of our senior officials made a comment about when the resumption of play is to be used.

We all agreed the resumption of play is to be used by definitions 4-38, 7-5-1, and 8-1-2. The sticking point is the following phrase in 4-38 as follows: "unless either team is not on the court to start the second half". The member points out 10-1-5a. It reads:

Quote:

10-1: A team shall not:

10-1-5: Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this includes the following and similar acts:

a. When the clock is not running consuming a full minute through not being
ready when it is time to start either half.
So where does that put us procedurally? So if the team is in the locker room, does that mean we wait for one minute after the horn sounds for the start of the second half and assess a technical if they fail to appear for play? From 10-1-5a, it seems like that is the procedure for the start of the halves. Just something for everyone to chew on.

-Josh

Adam Fri Oct 31, 2008 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 547566)
So where does that put us procedurally? So if the team is in the locker room, does that mean we wait for one minute after the horn sounds for the start of the second half and assess a technical if they fail to appear for play? From 10-1-5a, it seems like that is the procedure for the start of the halves. Just something for everyone to chew on.

This is exactly correct.

jdmara Fri Oct 31, 2008 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 547569)
This is exactly correct.

It's a little misleading because the rule book doesn't point you to 10-1-5a when it mentions "unless either team is not on the court to start the second half" in 4-38. I would have never known this procedure unless my peer pointed out this exception. I'm a little surprise there is not a case play on this (or maybe I'm overlooking the case play as well).

There was another situation brought up last night but I can't find it in my notes. I'll find it a little later

-Josh

Adam Fri Oct 31, 2008 09:52am

As long as it doesn't involve LGP and the sideline.... :)

jdw3018 Fri Oct 31, 2008 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 547591)
As long as it doesn't involve LGP and the sideline.... :)

Ah, come on, Snaqs, that's been the best discussion on here in a long, long time! :D

Back In The Saddle Fri Oct 31, 2008 05:49pm

Quote:

So where does that put us procedurally? So if the team is in the locker room, does that mean we wait for one minute after the horn sounds for the start of the second half and assess a technical if they fail to appear for play? From 10-1-5a, it seems like that is the procedure for the start of the halves. Just something for everyone to chew on.-Josh

You did arrange to have the teams notified when there was three minutes left in the halftime, didn't you? Good, I knew you had.

Now send game management back in to hurry their butts out onto the court. Don't just sit back and wait for them to be late.

BillyMac Fri Oct 31, 2008 06:29pm

Resumption Of Play Reminder ...

Just a reminder: A few years ago the Resumption of Play procedure, which used to only be used after time outs and intermissions, was changed so that it can also be used during any throwin.

Nevadaref Sat Nov 01, 2008 01:18am

Quote:

We had a local meeting last night and the topic of resumption of play was slated to be discussed. I thought I had the proper procedure down for both throw-in and free-throw procedures but then a tricky twist came into the discussion by one of our senior officials made a comment about when the resumption of play is to be used.

We all agreed the resumption of play is to be used by definitions 4-38, 7-5-1, and 8-1-2. The sticking point is the following phrase in 4-38 as follows: "unless either team is not on the court to start the second half". The member points out 10-1-5a. It reads:

-Josh

Yep, we have talked about that many times on this forum. If you do a search, you will find a few threads. It has also been a test question on a few past NFHS rules exams.